¡Bienvenidos! Forums Unofficial Palladium Main Forum 25 must know slang words for travel to the Yucatan from The Yucatan Times

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • Author
      Blueskies
      Participant

Top 25 Mexican slang words every expat MUST know

Your Ultimate guide for Mexican Slang is here!

If you are an Expat living in México, you know by now that slang is a big part of the Mexican way of life.

Or maybe you are in the States or Canada planning a trip to Mexico?

Well, these are the top 25 slang words that will have you speaking like the locals in no time! Or at least understand what they’re saying.

Once you know the slang, you’ll realize that you hear it all the time. So try some out and see how you go!!
        (We are incuding a few more vulgar words at the end too, just in case…)

Mexican Slang

Wey/Güey – Means dude. The number one Mexican slang word. You will hear this word everywhere on the streets and in bars with locals, mainly amoungst men. Like, how’s it going wey? What are you doing tonight wey? No wey, you can’t do that wey. You’re crazy wey. If you’re not hearing it, you’re hanging around too many tourist areas.

Que onda – How’s it going? What’s up? The most popular way to say ‘hows it going’ with friends. Can also use ‘Que tal?’ and ‘Que paso?’

No manches!! – ‘No way!’ or ‘You can’t be serious’. If someone tells you something incredible or bad has happened, or a story you don’t believe, you will say ‘No manches!‘

Aguas!! – Look out!! If you hear someone yell out ‘Aguas!!’, they’re telling you something is about to hit you, or quick, get out of the way.

Estoy crudo – I’m hungover. Not slang, but one you will use if you plan on partying it up in Mexico and feeling a bit rough the next day. ‘Estoy crudo. Tomé desmasiado anoche.’ I’m hungover. I drank too much last night.

Que padre – That’s awesome/really good. If someone tells you some good news or shows you something good. Say, ‘Que Padre‘. Can also say ‘Que chido‘ but that will sound more “naco” (vulgar).

Chingón – The informal/cool way to say something is awesome, the best or super good. ‘Está chingon‘ Its awesome. Used with friends. (The use of this word is not recommended in working environments or formal gatherings.)

Fresa – Also means strawberry, but is used talk about about a girl who is a bit stuck up, snob or who thinks she is a bit better than everyone else. Wears fancy clothes, eats at fancy restaurants, won’t take the bus, criticises people lesser than them. But sometimes used about men. ‘Ella es muy fresa. No quiere comer en la calle‘. She is very stuck up. She won’t eat street food.

Chela – Beer. ‘Quieres una chela?’ Do you want a beer? (Here in Yucatán is more common to use Cheva.)

Mande – Repeat that. When you didn’t hear what someone said to you.

Órale – This word has a thousand different meanings, but most commonly means: Lets do it now/Hurry up/Amazing. It all depends how you express the word. If you say it with force it’s ‘hurry up’. If you say it casual, or stretch it out, it’ll mean ‘amazing’. Ooooraleeee, amazing.

Codo/a – Tight ass, someone who doesn’t like spending money. ‘No seas codo‘, Don’t be tight. ‘El es tan codo!‘, he is so tight!

Sale – To agree or to confirm. Pronounced sa-le.

Naco/a – To describe someone who is bad mannered, poorly educated or has bad taste.

No hay bronca – No problem, don’t worry about it.

Mota – Marijuana.

Ándale – Hurry up! or to confirm/agree. ‘Andale!!‘ Hurry up. Or, The bar is just around the corner… ‘Ahhh si, andele.‘

This year’s “winner” is Mexico, taking that dubious honor from last year’s title holder, Italy. (Photo: Google)
        Mexican crowd in Mexico City. (Photo: Google)

Vulgar/Swear words
        These Mexican slang words aren’t recomended that you use just yet. Some may be taken the wrong way. But of course, knowing all the bad words in another language could come in pretty handy (and is fun too); and for some unknown reason they’re always easier to remember.

No mames – ‘No way!’ or ‘You can’t be serious.’ Exactly the same as ‘No manches‘, but a lot stronger!! Only used with friends you know very, very well.

Pinche – Damn. When using to describe something. ‘Pinches perros‘, damn dogs. ‘Pinche José‘. If used aggressively can mean ‘F#@?!¿g dogs.’

Pendejo – Asshole.

Pedo – Literaly means fart. But is used in many different ways. And is a very informal word and only to be used with people you know very well. For example, ‘Que pedo?’ Whats up?/ How’s it going?. ‘No hay pedo‘ No problem/no worries. ‘Estoy muy pedo wey.‘ I’m very drunk.

Puta madre – Has both positive and negative meanings. ‘Esta de puta madre.‘ That is super awesome. Or can be a cursing word if you have a car accident or drop a cup of coffee ‘Puta madre!‘ F%!king hell!!

Me vale madre – It’s the worst way to say ‘I don’t care’ or ‘I don’t give a shit’.

Chingar
        We can’t even start to explain the word Chingar. This is the king verb of Mexican slang. There are literally hundreds of variations, uses and examples. There is even a whole book dedicated to the word Chingar called the Chingonario.

Here are a few examples…
        Trabajas un chingo – You work too much.
        Se chingó mi dinero – He stole my money.
        Vete a la chingada! – Get the fuck out of here. Go to hell.
        Esta de la chingada! – This really sucks. This situation is really bad.
        Hijo de la chingada! – Son of a bitch.
        Now you’ll be up to speed with the most common Mexican slang words and phrases. Hope you enjoyed it. Please feel free to share.

Viewing 0 reply threads
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
    Translate »