¡Bienvenidos! Forums Trip Reports Eighth Visit

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      joan
      Participant

y husband Cliff and I just returned from our eighth visit to the GPRM. We travelled from the February 11-21, joined on the 13th by our daughter and a friend, and on the 14th by the friend’s parents. It was the second visit for the friend and her parents to our favourite place.

Not related to our stay, but we had a personal best navigating through Cancun airport! As luck would have it, there was only one other flight at arrivals, and every line we came to opened up! We estimated the time from arriving in the airport to walking out as 10 minutes.

We are Travel Club members, so have transportation to and from the resort via a contract the Club has with Hotel Beds. We arrived early, but our transportation was delayed (not sure why), but finally arrived, and off we went in a clean and comfortable van with a lovely driver. Within 50 minutes we were pulling into our home away from home.

We checked in at the Club lounge in Colonial. (As the gals wanted to stay in Colonial again, the parents decided to stay in the area as well). I do miss the Mayan Suites in Kantenah, maybe next time we can get back there.

The weather was iffy on the first couple of days. The sun was very hot, but it was quite windy and cool on the beach. They have had a very cool winter, as low as 10 degrees celsius at night! Due to the wind we spent the first few days at the Secret pool for the most part. Carlos the bartender makes a mean Caipirhnia. Once the temps improved, we headed to our favourite part of Kantenah beach and settled in there for the next several days. The mornings and evenings remained cooler than normal, but but end of last week, I did run in the early morning without my jacket.

On our sixth day, it poured most of the day. While the parents spent time in the Kantenah lobby, the gals ordered room service which they quite enjoyed. Due to the weather, the beach and pool bartenders were re-deployed to the lobbies. We had a wonderful conversation with Fernanda, as she was working the Kantenah lobby. Lots of her lovely giggles! She is a gem. They opened Heminways early, so we found a deck of cards and played all afternoon. Lo and behold, who do we meet in Hemingways, but Jacinto! We haven’t ventured to Rinconcito (sp?) in recent years, so have lost touch with Jacinto. He is such a kind and gentle man. We were able to catch up with all that has been going on with him and his family. He talked some about the new build in Isla Mujeres and what staff may go and work there. Despite the weather, it was a great day.

We ate a the al-a-cartes most nights. One exception, when Cliff and I tried the buffet for dinner. I love the buffets for breakfast and lunch, but I am just not there for dinner. Cliff enjoyed his meal for the most part. The grilled options were good at the buffets, Cliff enjoyed the roast beef a couple of times at lunch, and all loved the ham!

We tried LoLa the first night. Beautiful restaurant, the renovation is lovely. The food was ok. El Dorado for filets were a hit, Ribs n More was good, Mare Nostrum twice was everyone’s favourite meals. Previously, Portofino has always been our favourite, we ate there twice (once on our own, and again with the larger group). Very disappointed both times. The arrabiata sauce which we have loved for it’s spice (as it should be) was very bland. We beseech you to bring back the original heat! That was the feeling for the six of us, the food was bland and we were all disappointed. Punta Emila was good, most had seafood, but two had beef and were satisfied. The girls enjoyed one meal at Sumptori. It was nice to have dinner with gals pretty much every evening. Both our daughters have moved more than 5.5 hours away from us for school, so we don’t see them often. Nice to give a hug in person.

I truly cannot say enough about the staff. Always the BEST part of our vacation. Without exception, we have always been treated so well. From Tatiana at the entrance to the buffet morning and lunch, our favourite server Deymi, AnnaMeli, in food services, always so good to see her and catch up. She never changes! We did not see Landy, so wondering if she took mat leave early, or we just kept missing her.
        One afternoon as we walked to the spa, we must have met 20 staff members, each and every one said “hola”! We were laughing, as repeated it so many times. It was an indication of how the resort wants guests to be treated; with respect and courtesy. The grounds keepers – those unsung labourers are outstanding! Friendly, and hard working, keeping the resort grounds spotless. Our housekeeper Luis, sweet, did a great job, and always cute towel sculptures every day. On day, I was in our room with Cieara (daughter), there was a knock on our door. Cieara responded and a security guard told us that our door was not closed properly, and please close tightly. Thank-you!

I have to make special mention of the staff in the Travel Club in Colonial. Idea, Esmeralda were wonderful. There was not one thing that we requested that they did not do their best to accommodate. From room issue, to charges to the computer, always with a smile and such grace, despite being treated unfairly by some guests in my opinion. Our concierges Joaquin and Joao, were eager to make our stay comfortable and memorable. Esmeralda even promised better weather, and it happened! We did spend a bit of time at the Club beach lounge. Ernesto, the bartender is always so welcoming, and makes the best Tom Collins. Veronica is the server on days, she is lovely. We have been members since 2011, and have enjoyed the perks for sure, but the service by these staff is phenomenal.

We went off site once. Our guests had booked an excursion to Chichen Itza through Canada Transfers. We did the ruins, lunch and a cenote swim, plus a visit to Vallalodid. The van was comfortable and very clean. Our tour guide was Fransciso, who at 73 years old , had been doing that job for 40 years. He was so knowledgeable and informative. Very considerate of all in our group. Orlando drove us, and he was a doll. It was a wonderful day.

The beach at Kantenah was not much more rocky than before. Not sure why? There was one spot that you could walk in easily, but could not believe all the rock and coral. The saltwater pool is always nice. I had a good look at the building beside Kantenah beach. Work continues. The noise was not intrusive for the most part, just a shame it is so close. Lots of ocean view rooms in that hotel.

I keep saying to Cliff we must try the other Palladium resorts, but he keeps wanting to go back to the RM. I know why, I love it as well.

Anne
        Keymaster

Thanks for sharing Joan. Great report! Felt like I was there visiting all the wonderful staff. So nice that Cieara and her friend were able to join you in Paradise!

joan
          Participant

Just an addendum to the trip report. I forgot to mention that we all spent time at the gym or the spa. All love the serenity of the spa pool. Five of six of us had massages, wonderful!
            The gym has a ton of new weights, which is great, as I always complained they did not have enough small weights.

I will add to the wish list, but I wish the resort wou invest in decaf aged coffee that is not instant Nescafé. I would have loved a coffee post dinner, but alas, I cannot stomach decaf.

Bill
            Participant

Great report Joan we signed up in the Mayan 2011 haven’t been back yet have tried all the other resorts except Brazil and Spain. You said you where from Canada where abouts we hail from Marsden Sask.

Cheers
              Bill

2006 Royal Caribbean - Mexican Riviera
              2007 Princess - Eastern Caribbean
              2008 Holland America - Hawaii
              2009 Akumal - Grand Bahia Principe
              2010 Mayan - Ocean Turquesa
              2011 GP - Royal Suites Yucatan
              2011 Holland America - Alaska
              2012 GP - Royal Suites Punta de Mita
              2013 GP - Lady Hamilton
              2014 GP - Royal Suites Turquesa
              2015 GP - Bavaro
              2016 - ?
              2017 - ?

joan
              Participant

Ottawa here. Hope the Riders have a better season. Saw lots of green at the resort last week! You will lover the changes. I am looking forward to trying the other resorts.
                Have fun Bill. Look forward to hearing all about it. Dollar looks better!
                Joan

Blueskies
                Participant

Wonderful trip report Joan, thank you !

Anne
                  Keymaster

Joan,forgot to ask which building you were in and type of room based on being a TC member?

Kern
                    Participant

Enjoyed your trip report, Joan!!  Wondering what your group enjoyed eating at Mare Nostrum.  It used to be my favorite a la carte, but the past couple of visits I wasn’t crazy over it.  Wondering what to order!  Thanks!   Any entrée recommendations at the various a la cartes would be appreciated.

Viewing 7 reply threads
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                  Translate »