¡Bienvenidos! Forums Trip Reports First Trip to Mexcio, Amazing by JMS

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • Author
      Anne
      Keymaster

Where do I start…. check in! we arrived off the coach to the Colonial Lobby of the resort, we were greeted by the welcoming bell boys and reception staff, who gave us our welcome pack and refreshing cocktail, we were then taken to our rooms and shortly after our luggage arrived. so far the service was great.

the room was big and airy with a huge bed and huge shower more then expected from other reviews, the other room our family had did have a bath instead of shower and equally big.

Buffet Restaurants –
        We tried the buffets during our stay each for breakfast, and each for lunch all of which had a slightly different feel but all served a very good variety of different foods. Breakfast – was anything from toast and cereal to full English to doughnuts and crêpes, along with the normal were grilled cheese, fajitas and lots more.
        Lunch – grilled sandwiches, hot meat and veg, paellas, burgers, and lots of salads and fruits.

24h Snack Bar – my opinion not great but as a quick fix its ok, burgers, pizza, nachos.

A la carte –

Portofino – Italian food, lasagne, bolognaise, meatballs, pizza, pastas all great. In our party we ordered bolognaise, meatballs, pizza and lasagne all of which were lovely, the salad bar before hand was very well stocked and fresh.

Ribs and more – American feel, ribs, burgers, steak, fish, chicken all so tasty and fresh, we ordered steak, bbq chicken, ribs which all were cooked perfectly, the puddings as well all lovely would recommend the choc tequila moose.

La Adelita – Mexican food, we were worried about this before visiting as the reviews were mixed! but after visiting we were amazed at the bad press, its different to the ‘Mexican’ food we have in the UK, but it tasted great.

El Dorado – Steak house, amazing steaks however personally I preferred the steak in ribs and more.

Ridizio – Brazilian food, the experience was fun the usual salad bar as all have, then the main course… you receive a plate with cream spinach, rice, and potato on, then the server 1 by 1 (9 in total) brings the meat out, each on a spike and sliced in front of you, advise would be 1 or 2 slices of each as they are all tasty and filling.

Mare Nostrum – Mediterranean food, again another we couldn’t fault the service again lovely and warming, the food ranged from chicken skewers (amazing) to steak, duck, fish etc all presented very well.

Sumptuori – Japanese, well this was by far the most fun, you need to book it as its very busy but the show tables are fabulous, the chef cooks all the food fresh and puts on a bit of a fire show as well, the food was a beef, chicken and seafood mix with rice and veg all so tasty and cooked perfectly. you really are missing out if you miss this restaurant.

so your thinking im raving about all of them, well yes they were all amazing and I would have gone back to all except one. La Lola the new restaurant that replaced Bamboo, its a Tapas restaurant and you would like us think tapas yummy. however we were firstly seated at a table big enough for 2 but there was 4 of us then we were given water and ordered a drink for dinner as well as given a sangria which even if you don’t want ends up on the table, so we are then given a menu and the waitress takes our order which as she doesn’t speak much English takes a while not only this but she said we had to order 3 things each. you then take some cold tapas from the buffet bar while waiting for the hot tapas. the cold tapas didn’t have any signs advising what it was so this made it difficult to know also it wasn’t very clear how you took it, anyway we had some cold tapas. then comes the hot tapas firstly with the 12 glasses from drinks on our table it was cramped but after clearing our cold plates the waitress loaded our table with all 12 new plates of which who knew what they were, the ‘hot’ food was cold tasty but cold and un appealing, we ate a few bits then opted for desert I dint order one but my family did they ordered cheese cake, this came out and was cheese in a pastry case…. not exactly what we expected. we didn’t finish and left.

we were disappointed as the restaurant décor and feel had so much potential the food and host let it down.

we haven’t really got any other bad things to say, the pools were all great especially the adult pools, the main and adult pool in the white sands resort are slightly shallower the colonial which was good for my other half as she is short.

the bars are all very well stocked mainly with brands (Bacardi, jim bean, baileys etc) and the list of cocktails is huge.

all in all this resort is fabulous and being built into the jungle has some interesting pets. we managed to see the monkeys (around 5pm at the colonial adult pool)

as an extra review point Tulum, Coba, and chichen itsa are all must do trips. Playa is also great to visit and by taxi is only about £10 for 4 ppl.

Room Tip: your on holiday any room is good for sleeping, what else do you wan it for??
        See more room tips
        Stayed October 2015, traveled with family

Viewing 0 reply threads
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
    Translate »