¡Bienvenidos! Forums Trip Reports Muchas Gracias GP by GB

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • Author
      Anne
      Keymaster

Stayed at GP Colonial First 2 weeks in August 2015 and really enjoyed our vacation. RM is a great place to visit with lots of choices of hotels. Some cheaper some more expensive. For the price we paid and for the excellent vacation we had, I could not mark the hotel lower than 5 out of 5. Sure, you can pay more and probably get a higher standard for that higher price but my score is taking all elements into consideration.

You get access to a large resort which was one of the main reasons we chose the GP. Lots of reviews say HUGH we, as a family, say LARGE because we walked from one end to the other in 20 mins. ( to put in perspective it takes me 15 mins to walk to my local pub in the UK ). No problem for me, wife, 16 year old & 14 year old.

The GP has it all. From the choice of lots of different pools, large beach, lots of different buffets & A la Carte to lots of different bars. Plenty to do for all ages. We never had a problem getting 4 beds together at any pool or beach area, anytime of day. No towel game here ! ( don’t you just hate towel reserving ).

All meals we had were good to excellent whether it was at one of the many Buffet or one of many a la cartes. Nearly all staff were really friendly and efficient. In fact even away from the resort Mexicans were lovely. We only had to wait once in 2 weeks for a place to eat at GP and that was an hour’s wait at an a la carte . Didn’t bother us as they gave us a bleeper / flashing device to let us know when our table was ready. so we went for a drink and a game of cards at a beautifully air conditioned sports bar. What is the rush we were on holiday ???

Along the long beach are sections of great snorkeling areas. Go out when the sea is calm / clear and if you look you will be able to find coral areas teaming with lots and lots of different fish. Some small some large. If you can’t find coral / reef you are in the wrong place lol. Keep looking. We also loved the salt water pool. Using the hotels snorkel vest, masks & having a free scuba lesson was also a real bonus.

Too many positives to list but from our point of view the really bonus about this AI resort is there is also something different to do. Always something going on and always somewhere quiet away from all that Jazz.

The room was a place to sleep & get ready but was very nice with lots of nice touches like free mini bar ( ice machine nearby ), good AC, free shower gels, comfy beds etc. no complaints.

Negatives I’ve read about this resort :

1. sargassum ( seaweed ) unfortunately it is all over the Caribbean. We have friends who went to Barbados and said it was really bad there also. I personally didn’t let it bother me. The hotel workers are amazing at clearing it and it is kept on top of. Didn’t stop us going to the beach or snorkeling ( successfully ). It will not stop us coming back.

2. Rude staff. I am in total disbelieve that someone can visit this resort and report A lot of staff as rude. I doubt they have even been here!! Nearly all the staff at the GP we met were so nice & polite I doubt we shall book a different place next holiday ! Mind you we always say please and thank you and it was surprising the amount of guest who don’t say ‘ thank you ‘.

3. Weak drink. As my name suggests I like a drink. In between drinks, every now and then, I’d order a few tequila shots with a Scooby do’s shot to sooth the throat. No complaints about alcohol from me.

4. Lack of entertainment. Those reviewers must have been lost in the jungle lol.

5. Spa staff hassle. We got asks 5 times in 2 weeks and politely declined. No issue.

6. Last and not least mozzies. I saw the hotel spraying a lot. My son had 0 bites, I had about 8 bites, my daughter about 10 bites and my wife about 15 bites. Majorca was worse for us. We used 50% deet spray.

To end, go with a mojito half full attitude and you’ll enjoy your stay here. We shall be back.

muchas gracias GP

Love & peace

GB

Viewing 0 reply threads
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
    Translate »