¡Bienvenidos! Forums Unofficial Palladium Main Forum Tipping – a general guideline

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Anne
      Keymaster

Tipping

Tipping is optional and a personal choice. I myself tip often as I feel the staff go above and beyond to make my visit special. I never feel as though a tip is expected but do feel it is appreciated. Here is a very general guideline:

(Note is it best to use the currency of the country you are in, i.e. pesos in Mexico. US dollars are accepted but you will get better value using pesos. (With the exception of peso coins, do not use coins as they are useless.)

*Bellboy who delivers luggage – 50 pesos
        *Housekeeper – 50 pesos per day
        *Fridge person (separate from housekeeper)(for special requests) – 20 pesos in fridge with note
        *Waitstaff who personally deliver a drink at pool or in lobby – 20 pesos
        *Bartender who makes cappuccino at sunrise – 20 pesos
        *Other bartenders – occasionally 20 pesos
        *Waitstaff in buffet – 20 pesos if they get me cappuccino (usually slip it in apron            or pocket)
        *Waitstaff in a la cartes – 50 pesos or more depending on service
        *Room service – 50 pesos
        *Cart driver for individual service – 20 pesos
        *Others – 20 pesos as the situation warrants

Anne
        Keymaster

I also use a private transfer and tip about 15% each way.

Anne
          Keymaster

If anyone has anything to add please feel free to post.

Boatchick
            Participant

As Americans, it is customary to tip… and I don’t have a problem rewarding hard working people who provide exceptional service…Anne I feel your description of tipping is fair and spot on…Yes I know the policy of “tips included in the all-inclusive” description and in some countries tipping is “unheard of”… But I  think it is a nice gesture for people who go out of their way to make your stay the best it can be… Yes as a Bartender and waitress in my “younger days”, I understand the rigors of this type of job, and have “walked a mile in their shoes”…..and the long hours these staff people put in to make our stay memorable… With that said… A tip is a nice and appreciated gesture, but is totally up to the discretion of the guest.

I know of a guest who refused to take a towel from the towel attendant because he did not roll it, but handed it to the guest folded, after the guest waved his “gold” band in the face of the attendant, he received a “rolled towel”. I felt so sad for the attendant, being humiliated in this way… BTW the guest walked away and unrolled the towel and put it over his shoulders…  ;-)…  What a “Touron”…

Anne
              Keymaster

Thanks for the response Boatchick. I read about that “rolled towel” incident. Very sad. I believe in “The Golden Rule”…ie I treat people as I wish to be treated”.

Anne
                Keymaster

Moving this up for someone.

Viewing 5 reply threads
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
              Translate »