¡Bienvenidos! Forums Trip Reports Wonderful, relaxing vacation at TRS Yucatan

Tagged: 

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • Author
      Anne
      Keymaster

LaMar Hailey Hudson

We returned yesterday from a week at TRS-RM. Here is our review:
        This was our first time at a TRS resort and once we learned the lay of the land (big resort) we settled in and had a wonderful, relaxing vacation.

Room: we stayed in junior suite in building 70 (“old” section). However, the rooms have been completely remodeled and we loved the location of our building. It was right by the smaller pool and an easy walk to both the infinity pool and the main lobby (in fact, I would suggest buildings 69,70,or 71). Our butler, Raquel, was so awesome! We discovered on our first night that our patio Jacuzzi was not working, but Raquel had it working by the next day while we were out exploring. When we returned, he had made us a HUGE bubble bath! Also, I have arthritis in my back and the mattress was a little too firm for me. I learned from a review on Trip Advisor that I could request a memory foam topper for our mattress and Raquel made sure that it was on our bed by lunchtime. He made reservations for us, changed reservations for us… just went above and beyond and ALWAYS with a smile and with an “it’s a pleasure.” One morning, while waiting outside our building for a shuttle, I asked him how his day was going and his response was, “Excellent. Everyday is excellent!” Our other butler, Sahadi, was equally awesome and professional, but we didn’t get to see as much of her….but just as equally sweet and accommodating.

Customer Service: the employees at this resort (at least the TRS portion) went above and beyond to accommodate us and to make us feel welcome. For example, I love their (re-fried) black beans and white rice (my comfort food), but they did not have them at Capricho – which is where we ate lunch nearly every day. The waiter, Luis from Texas, went next door to the buffet and brought me back a big bowl of their rice and beans. The next day, the manager, Hector, had the Capricho chef make me THREE different types of rice and beans and from then on, they were always prepared for my request. So sweet!

Food: We ate breakfast every morning at Capricho – both off the menu and from the buffet. They made french toast especially for my husband every morning. I loved their “green juice” and their peach yogurt. Couldn’t get enough of the pear-spinach-celery green juice! For lunch at Capricho, we loved the gazpacho, the cream of vegetable soup, the ribs, the chicken Thai noodle dish, guacamole, coconut and cappuccino ice creams, and of course, the black beans and rice!

For Dinners: We pretty much stuck to TRS restaurants for dinner. We loved Tentazione (Italian) and ate there 3 times during our stay. Marin was a fantastic waiter, Diego is the awesome manager (I can see why anyone would want to work for him), and Wilbert, the bartender, became our friend. My husband does not drink alcohol and Wilbert was always creating new beverages for him to try. In fact, we would stop by the bar at Tentazione on our way to another restaurant just to visit with the staff! Hey Diego, “Let’s Go Cowboys!” 🙂

We also loved El Gaucho. Everything from the empanadas, to the salad, to the tray of meat for two (don’t remember the name, but that’s what it was!) was delicious. The ambiance was stellar and our waiter, Luis, was the consummate professional. My suggestion is to ask for Luis when your butler makes your reservation. I could write a separate review just on Luis’ impeccable professionalism and service.

La Boheme – not so great. We were not impressed with the food or the atmosphere. But hey, food is subjective.

Helios – I know many love it, but we were not impressed. Excepted with their strawberry ice cream. It was delicious.

We did try two restaurants outside of TRS: El Dorado, which was okay but very overrun and Portofino, which was much better.

THE SPA: We loved visiting the spa. The sauna, steam room, cold bath, hot tub, rock walk, lazy river, delicious smoothies. All of it. Getting massages the day before our departure was just the icing on the cake!

Beaches/Pool: Like everyone says, the infinity pool is awesome and the view is spectacular. Yes, I was disappointed that I couldn’t swim/snorkel in the ocean because of the enormous amount of sargassum, but there is always next yeaLove

Viewing 0 reply threads
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
    Translate »