¡Bienvenidos! Forums Trip Reports Amazing trip to TRS Yucatan

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • Author
      Anne
      Keymaster

Trip report posted with permission from Karen Friesen & Vern Friesen.

TRS Yucatan.…Finally getting around to writing out our trip report. This is going to be long, so I’ll break it up in a couple of posts. We stayed at the resort July 15-August 5, 2023, in the ambassador suite villa 66 for the first week, and villa 68 for our 2nd and 3rd weeks. We had an amazing time! Yes we are travel club members, specifically ambassador/ presidential members, and do enjoy the added perks that gives us, with recognizing that we have paid dearly over the years for upgrades etc.
        Firstly the cons…we were not impressed with BD experiences, our private transfer. When we arrived at the Cancun airport we searched and searched for them, wasting precious time. We finally found them out where the parked shuttles are, not the customary mingling area when you first exit the airport. We then had to wait for our shuttle a bit longer, even though they had our arrival information in hand. Also when we left the resort on the 5th we were told to be in the lobby for our private pickup at 12:00. We were there by 11:30 just to be sure we didn’t miss them. We waited until close to 12:30 when finally a driver came looking for us. He took us to the van, which was white instead of the red one we were waiting for, and lo and behold there were 5 other people already in the van. We explained to him that we have a private transfer, but he showed us our names on his manifest. The other people in the van were coming from another hotel and said they had paid extra for a private transfer and had argued with the driver to no avail. So reluctantly we got in the van. Thankfully the others were so pleasant to be with and even didn’t mind when I asked to stop somewhere to use the washroom. They were not happy with their situation but made the best of it. No explanation was given to us as to why we did not receive our private transfer as promised.
        The other problem we had at the resort was the freedom people had to smoke around the pool and lounging area even though there is a law in Mexico against it; but with no consequences, people took advantage of it. There are also vendors selling all sorts of tobacco products right by the pool, and directly behind our Bali bed. This confused us since it is known as a non smoking area. Pool butlers told us the guests are not allowed to smoke there but unless someone complained and they saw it happening, they weren’t able to stop it. We suggested no smoking signs be posted, and designated smoking areas info given to guests when they check in, but we’re not sure that will happen anytime soon.
        The pros….there are so many and they far outweigh the cons! We absolutely love this resort, and have been coming here for many years, and will continue to come year after year. We only come in the summer due to my husband’s job so a perfect time for us to come is in July so we can celebrate our anniversary. It is super hot, but with the AC relief indoors, and the nice temp in the pool, we find plenty of ways to be comfortable. This year my husband had purchased a UV sunshade that he would tie over our Bali bed everyday. Because of my fair skin this was the best thing! We spent our days by the infinity pool. Luciana was our server who kept us supplied with peanuts and drinks. She was such a sweetheart. Our pool butlers were always rotating but Luigi and Carlos stood out! We enjoyed the bbq hut by the pool and ate a few things there over the weeks.
        Our favourite place to eat brunch was Capricchios. We always received a warm welcome from hostesses Patricia and Muriel. They missed us if we were late in arriving. Such beautiful smiles they have! We had many wonderful servers in the restaurant but Martha and Sara were our favourites.
        We loved having crepes made in front of us at the buffet with our requested ingredients, and the white chocolate donuts and crispy bacon were an added must have! Fresh grapefruit juice and plates of fruit were a plenty!
        Martha often brought my husband his coffee with baileys even before he asked for it. One day we arrived and our bacon was already made and set before us as soon as we sat down. On our last day we sat down to a decorated table. We felt the love

We were in Villa 66 for our first week starting July 15, 2023. Our amazing butlers were Alexis, Eric and Luis. These guys went above and beyond to help us get settled in. So friendly and personable, we can understand why they are probably some of the most sought after butlers on sight. This villa was a quick walk to Helios where we enjoyed many great lunches. The mojito salmon was always our favourite lunch entree, along with the buffet for our sides. We also enjoyed Helios for many of our evening A la carte meals. It was probably our favourite restaurant overall.
        For our 2nd and 3rd weeeks we moved to villa 68. For no other reason than it had been recommended, so we wanted to give it a try. It is very private and a quick walk to the infinity pool and Goia bar. Out butlers there were Moses and Susanna, and they treated us so very well. They were so welcoming and again we could understand why they were some of the top butlers in the resort. On our anniversary we came back to a lovely surprise in our room….chilling champagne, rose petals in the tub and scattered on the floor and bed. We were so touched by this gesture! If we needed them to call a cart they were prompt in arranging that, otherwise we chose to walk when we felt like it.
        We had two spa treatments. Both times we paid the extra palladium dollars to extend our treatment from the 50 minute travel club Lomi Lomi massage to an 80 minute relaxing massage. Bernardo was my masseuse both times. The first one I couldn’t breathe with my face in the cutout area. So I didn’t enjoy it as much as I would have liked to, no fault of his. The second time I asked him if I could leave my face to the side so I could breathe and he said sure. I believe that is the best massage I have ever had! He listened well to me, since I had had back surgery a few months ago and was concerned about the incision area. He stayed away from my lower back and so I was at ease! Wow! I came away totally relaxed!
        We ate at all the TRS restaurants at least 3 times each, and a few of the GP restaurants once each. Our favourite host and hostesses were Michelle and Jose. We could tell they were really good at their jobs by how friendly and outgoing they were! They always made us feel welcome whenever we would see them. El Gaucho, La Bohemme and Helios were our favourite a la cartes.
        We saw Chic and really enjoyed it. The food is not for everyone, and some of it I didn’t eat, but my husband likes to try new things, so he tried everything. We were surprised and elated that Chef Humberto had arranged a special table for us along with a special dessert and sparkler. Such a treat!
        We also went to bingo night. Lots of fun!
        I’m sure I’ve missed so many highlights of our trip, but if you want to hear more feel free to ask for more details. Thanks for following along on our amazing holiday!
        55All reactions:

Viewing 0 reply threads
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
    Translate »