• This topic has 58 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 2 weeks ago by Anne.
Viewing 58 reply threads
  • Author
      Anne
      Keymaster

I will add these to the list:

I loved Kabul Beauty School by Deborah Rodriguez. True story about an American hairdresser who went to war torn Afghanistan and started a beauty School.

When Deborah returned to the US she felt lost and ended up moving to Mexico. I am reading her memoir of that entitled, Margarita Wednesdays.

Another favorite book that I just found at a yard sale, “Cutting for Stone” by Abraham Verghese. Twin brothers in Ethiopia  orphaned by the mother’s death (Indian nun) and father’s disappearance (British surgeon) coming of age.

Anne
        Keymaster

Here is the previous  list

Beach books

Kern
          Participant

Thanks for the update.  Loved reading Cutting for Stone – amazing characters.  Keep the recommendations coming!

Anne
            Keymaster

All the Light we Cannot See by Anthony Doerr  “a blind French girl and a German boy whose paths collide in occupied France as both try to survive the devastation of World War II.”

The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah  In the quiet village of Carriveau, Vianne Mauriac says goodbye to her husband, Antoine, as he heads for the Front. She doesn’t believe that the Nazis will invade France … but invade they do,

Me Before You by Jojo Moyes  You brings to life two people who couldn’t have less in common—a heartbreakingly romantic novel 

The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins Psychological thriller

Come Rain Come Shine by Jan Karon The most recent in the Mitford Series

Anne
              Keymaster

Pool day today. Sun felt great on my face!! Started

Japanese Lover by Isabel Allende. Outstanding writing. Allende wrote a number of best-selling books

Anne
                Keymaster

For those of you who enjoy the Karon books in the Mitford Series, you’ll enjoy Come Ran Come Shine. All the characters come together for Dooley & Lace’s wedding.

Anne
                  Keymaster

Very fun, lightweight read. The Blonde Theory by Kristin Harmel.

A successful Manhattan attorney has it all except a date! Her challenges in finding a date.

I sent this to my daughter who lives in New York and she just shook her head but she read it!

Anne
                    Keymaster

Today I read My Name is Lucy Barton by Pulitzer Prize winner Elizabeth Strout.

Very quick read about mother/daughter relationships.  Good but not exceptional.

I have started to re-read The Namesake by Jhumpa Lahiri. Love this book about a couple who immigrates from India to Cambridge, Mass.

Lahiri has a new book which I started reading but not as good.

Please post your beach books. Always looking.

Anne
                      Keymaster

For Maeve Binchy fans, there is a new book of her short stories. I prefer novels but these stories are full of the Binchy colorful characters. I miss her!

A Few of the Girls

Anne
                        Keymaster

Karen also suggests these. All great reads.

The Nightingale and Girl on a Train. Two other favourites are My Secret Daughter by Shilpi Somaya Gowda and The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein.

Anne
                          Keymaster

I am enjoying the Maeve Binchy short story collection which is easy to pick up and put down. Today I started a new book by Debbie Macomber. Very good and  fast read, A Girl’s Guide to Moving On”

Also discovered that Shilpi Somaya Gowda has a new book which I ordered.

Golden Son

Anne
                            Keymaster

For those of you who enjoyed My Secret Daughter which I recommend, you will also enjoy

Golden Son by Shilpi Somaya Gowda

which I am currently reading. Takes place in India and Texas USA.

Anne
                              Keymaster

Thanks to Karen for mentioning The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein.

I am re-reading this and enjoying it. Ostensibly written by a dog named Enzo.

Anne
                                Keymaster

Sitting here sobbing. I had read that book before but well worth re-reading. It is written by a dog but has so many messages of perseverance, hope, faith. Definitely worth reading or re-reading.

Anne
                                  Keymaster

Home Before Dark by Susan Wiggs

Rich  characters, sisters, children, life’s trials & tribulations. Good read.

Anne
                                    Keymaster

Most wanted by Lisa Scottolini

A woman who conceives a child  via a donor sees his pic on the news as a serial killer. She sets out to prove otherwise. Lots of twists and turns.

Anne
                                      Keymaster

I am enjoying “All Summer Long” by Dorothea Benton Frank.

She is one of my favorite “beach book” authors. Her books take place in South Carolina where I now live.  She may have “coaxed” me here as I read her books before moving.

This book takes a wealthy Manhattan interior designer and her laid back professor husband to “downsizing” to  Sullivans Island in South Carolina

Anne
                                        Keymaster

Really enjoyed

Here’s to Us by Elin Hildrebrand.

Takes place on Nantucket Island off the coast of Cape Cod. Three ex-wives and their children gather to spread the ashes of their husband, a former famous chef.

Lots of twists and turns.

Anne
                                          Keymaster

Great book:

The Hummingbird’s Daughter by Luis Alberto Urrea

Takes plan Mexico based on a true story

#1 bestseller

“Miracles & passion abound: The story of a young woman whose gifts as a healer lend her the aura of a saint and who must come to terms with a surprising destiny as all of Mexico erupts in revolution crying out her name.”

Anne
                                            Keymaster

Boatchick suggests The Moment Keeper

The Moment Keeper

Anne
                                              Keymaster

Two by Two – Nicholas Sparks

An advertising executive thinks he has it all until his career & marriage start unraveling

Anne
                                                Keymaster

I am greatly enjoying re-reading The Memory Keeper’s Daughter by Kim Edwards.

Can’t put it down. A doctor makes a life altering decision which impacts many when he delivers his own twins during a snowstorm

Anne
                                                  Keymaster

Excellent new thriller

A pregnant woman falls overboard on a cruise ship. Suicide? Murder? Accident?

The Widower’s Wife

by Cate Holahan

Anne
                                                    Keymaster

Sally Hepworth  “A Mother’s Promise”

A single mom and her teenaged daughter struggle with  the daughter’s anxiety disorder. When  the mother develops cancer. the pair then find their support network coming from unusual places.

Anne
                                                      Keymaster

Kern sent me some book suggestions:

The Invention of Wings, by Sue Monk Kidd  Excellent!!

Paris for One, by Jojo Moyes

Inside the O’Briens by Lisa Genova.

Anne
                                                        Keymaster

Every Wild Heart by Meg Donohue

Single professional Mom raising teenage daughter who has a serious horse riding accident. Everything changes after that.

Also:  All the Summer Girls

Anne
                                                          Keymaster

I started this today and can’t put it down.

Pachinko by Min Jin Lee

The story of several generations of one Korean family in  Japan is the story of every family whose parents sacrifice for their children.

Anne
                                                            Keymaster

Suggested by Lokes

Fascinating . . . a brilliant entrée into the souls, terrors, ardors, endeavors and hopeless valor of people who have
                                                              been written off. . . . ” —Thomas Keneally, Bestselling author of Schindler’s List

A young girl flees Nazi-occupied Germany with her family and best friend, only to discover that the overseas refuge they had been promised is an illusion in this “powerful and affecting” (Kirkus Reviews) debut novel, perfect for fans of The Nightingale, All the Light We Cannot See, and Schindler’s List.

Anne
                                                              Keymaster

Jane Green “The Sunshine Sisters”

Three estranged sisters are summoned home by their also estranged mother

Anne
                                                                Keymaster

The Girl Before by J.P. Delaney

Psychological Thriller

Anne
                                                                  Keymaster

Lisa See is a wonderful author. Just finished her excellent book

The Tea Girl of Hummingbird Lane

Others include

China Dolls

Snow Flower & the Secret Fan

Anne
                                                                    Keymaster

Manuel

Palm trees in the Snow by Luz Gabás.
                                                                      * The Baltimore Boys/Le livre des Baltimore by Joel Dicker.

Anne
                                                                      Keymaster

Beach House for Rent

by Mary Alice Monroe

A true beach book taking place on the Isle of Palms SC (where I take Murph to the beach)

Blueskies
                                                                        Participant
                                                                        • #16862
                                                                          Anne
                                                                          Keymaster

Oleander Girl

by Chitra Banerjee Divakaruni

• #17214
                                                                            Anne
                                                                            Keymaster

Excited that our pool opened today! I just finished this charming book about the relationship between an 85 year old widower and a teenager

The Story of Arthur Truluv

By Elizabeth Berg.

• #22706
                                                                              Anne
                                                                              Keymaster

Just re-read a beach book. Beach House for Rent by Mary Alice Monroe.  Lots of stuff about beaches, turtles.

• #22762
                                                                                Anne
                                                                                Keymaster

Another great beach book

Bull’s Island by Dorothea Benton Frank

Takes place between New Yort City & South Carolina. “Honor,chance and star crossed love infused with Southern wit, grace & charm”

• #22978
                                                                                  Anne
                                                                                  Keymaster

Great book – takes place on Marthas Vineyard & Nantucket islands off Cape Cod

Summer of ’69

Elin Hilderbrand

• #22984
                                                                                    Anne
                                                                                    Keymaster

Queen Bee Dorothea Bentron Frank’s most recent

• #22994
                                                                                      Anne
                                                                                      Keymaster

Winter in Paradise

Elin Hilderbrand

A woma recieves a call that her husband has died in a mysterious hellicopter crash in the US Virgin Islands. She soon discovers her hsband was living a secret life she knew nothing about.

• #23019
                                                                                        Anne
                                                                                        Keymaster

Just finished another great beach book.

By Invitation Only

By Dorothea Benton Frank

A South Carolina farmer marries into a Chicago elite family

Quite entertaining.

• #23162
                                                                                          Anne
                                                                                          Keymaster

The Summer Guests by Mary Alice Munroe. A diverse group of horse lovers gather in a North Carolina mountain retreat during a hurricane. Many bring their prize horses and canines. A great read for horse & dog lovers.

Also by the same author: Beach House Reunion

• #23375
                                                                                            Anne
                                                                                            Keymaster

Another great beach book for turtle lovers:

Beach House Memories by Mary Alice Monroe.

Lovie is known on the Isle of Palms, SC as the “Turtle Lady”.

Lot of great turtle stories, some romance. Have tissues handy at the end.

• #23863
                                                                                              Anne
                                                                                              Keymaster

Just finished a great book by Marie Benedict. The Only Woman in the Room. Based on a true life story of Hety Lamar, the actress and scientist.

“Underestimated she overheard the Third Reich’s plan while at her husband’s side, understandin more than anyone would guess. She devised a plan to flee in disguise from the castle, and her whirwind escape landed her in Hollywood. She became Hedy Lamar, screen star.  She kept a secret that she was also a scientist”

This is an amazing story of a woman who risked everything in time of war to help the cause.

• #23993
                                                                                                Anne
                                                                                                Keymaster

Thriller will keep you guessing until the last page:

The First Mistake

By Sandie Jones

• #24217
                                                                                                  Anne
                                                                                                  Keymaster

Just finished a thriller. I happened to love my Mother In Law but the Mother in Law in this book will give you chills.

“The Other Woman” by Sandie Jones.

;

• #24769
                                                                                                    Anne
                                                                                                    Keymaster

The Secret Orphan by Glynis Peters. Excellent.

• #24776
                                                                                                      Anne
                                                                                                      Keymaster

Beauchamp Hall

by Danielle Steele

a disillusioned 30 something goes to UK to find herself and get over betrayal by boss, best friend & boyfriend

• #25613
                                                                                                        Anne
                                                                                                        Keymaster

Great thriller:

” Then She Was Gone” by Lisa Jewell

• #25614
                                                                                                          Anne
                                                                                                          Keymaster

Great thriller:

” Then She Was Gone” by Lisa Jewell

• #25689
                                                                                                            Anne
                                                                                                            Keymaster

During the quarantine I am reading historical fiction by the German author Sara Lark.

In the land of the Long White Cloud and

Fire Blossom both take place in New Zealand.   Lots of interesting details.

• #26160
                                                                                                              Anne
                                                                                                              Keymaster

Based on the Movie “Same Time Next Year”

28 Summers

• #26188
                                                                                                                Anne
                                                                                                                Keymaster

Reading a wonderful book by Maeve Binchy who passed away. I thought I had read all of her books. This is a delight.

A Week in Winter.

I am also reading an historical fiction book about Jamaica. I did not know Jamaica had slaves from Ireland. If you are going to Jamaica you may want to read this.

The Tide Between Us by Olive Collins.

• #28618
                                                                                                                  Anne
                                                                                                                  Keymaster

I have been really remiss about updating this. I am a vociferous reader and have read 2 books recently by Chanel Cleeton about a Cuban exild to Florida in 1960.

‘”When we Left Cuba”

Fascinating. Please add your favorite books.

• #28646
                                                                                                                    Anne
                                                                                                                    Keymaster

Chanel Cleeton

Next Year in Havanna  A sequel on the above re a wealth Cuban family member exiled from Cuba returns to find her roots.

Dorothea Benton Frank

Full of Grace  An Italian American family from NJ re-locates to South Carolina. Lots of family dynamics.

Fu

• #28811
                                                                                                                      Anne
                                                                                                                      Keymaster

Fortunately it s still beach weather in SC. Read a fabulous beach book today. Murder mystery, sex, money, scandal on Nantucket (wealthy island off Mass.) The Perfect Couple by Elin Hilderbrand

• #31165
                                                                                                                        Anne
                                                                                                                        Keymaster

Just Breathe by Ssan Wiggs

Sara writes a syndicated comic strip based on her own reality. While undergoing fertility treatments she discovers her husband’s infidelity. She flees to her childhood home in N. California where she discovers she is pregnant with twins.

The winds of change have brought Sara here and now she closes her eyes yo “just breath”.

• #31182
                                                                                                                          Anne
                                                                                                                          Keymaster

So excited. Got these today.

Viewing 58 reply threads
                                                                                                                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                                                                        Translate »