¡Bienvenidos! Forums Trip Reports Christmas in Paradise

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Anne
      Keymaster

My daughter and I arrived in Cancun from two different cities shortly before Christmas. It is a very busy time to travel. AGI had traced our flights and was waiting for us. Despite my flight being late they were able to coordinate our arrivals and show us to a roomy 17 passenger van for a non stop trip to the new TRS at the Palladium.

First impressions: Stunning resort. Beautiful and immaculate. While this is a renovation of an existing hotel one feels as though everything is shiny and new.

We received an extremely warm welcome by several people in reception. Beatriz came out to welcome us. Happy birthday greetings to my daughter. Welcome drinks and a cool cloth if desired.

Smart bracelets which open the room!!

Alberto, whom I have come to know over the years, drove us to our lovely room in building 67. He was beaming as he talked about his pending fatherhood for his 2nd child. A baby boy is due in February. We arrived at our building and were introduced to our butlers. Be sure and use their services as they are very accessible and helpful for general information, reservations, calling carts.

Accommodations

Our room in 67 was lovely and well appointed. Two extremely comfy beds, sofa, smart TV, 4 bottles of liquor, Nespresso and regular coffee machines, umbrella, hair dryer, clothing “steamer” (no iron), stocked fridge. The bathroom was semi-open. Both the shower & toilet were in separate closets with full length mirrored doors. The tub was open in the room. Some rooms have a glass enclosed closet. We had a small private closet. There were several electrical outlets which is an improvement. A few shelves for clothes. Ample supply of L’Occitrane products.

We had views of the ocean and the new Infiniti pool. We also were above some swim out rooms. Landscaping is on-going there. During our stay some palm trees’ ropes were clipped and thus the trees became more lush during the week.

Thank you to Beatriz for coordinating with Memo of Smile Services to decorate our room and supply my daughter with a cake, flowers, balloons, champagne for her special day.

Food

The resort had a “soft opening” in December while everything got up & running smoothly. While we were there restaurants were staggered . By the end of our stay everything was opened and we were able to try all of the new restaurants and some of our old favorites.

When we arrived at 4 pm nothing was opened for food on the TRS side so we ordered room service. Food was very good. (shrimp ceviche & some tacos, guac & Pica)

I was hoping to get into the Chic dinner restaurant for my daughter’s birthday but it was not opened that night so we booked for Christmas night. On my daughter’s birthday the butlers got us a reservation in Tetazione. This is an Italian themed restaurant. As it was new we didn’t really understand that we were meant to order three courses, i.e. an appetizer or salad, pasta and an entree. As we had had room service late we weren’t terribly hungry. I tried the lobster stew (yum) and my daughter had lamb chops. Everything was delicious and beautifully presented. Bonadventure remembered us and staff surprised us with another birthday cake and sang Feliz Cumpleanos!

On most evenings we ate at TRS. The butlers made reservations, One night we ventured over to Chang Thai which we had never tried and which was very good though “spicy” (#2 spice ranking). Alfredo was an excellent waiter. Another night we went to Poseidon (Punta Emilia) where we both had garlic shrimp & lobster. My daughter also ordered veggie paella which was excellent. (TRS guests may get lobster anywhere.)

On Christmas Eve we had the Gala dinner at the Capricho restaurant. Outstanding. We both had lobster off the menu as well as many excellent side dishes from the buffet stations.

On Christmas night we went to Chic. Prior to the show there is food and entertainment on the terrace. Definitely try to see the show. Very entertaining. The food is average but I learned they are working on a new menu. We were able to say hello to Ricardo and his wife Erika. Ricardo was very proud of this show which he should be.

We also enjoyed La Boheme which is a French themed a la carte. The chef came out to say hello and double check on my food allergy (which often happened). Food was excellent. Victor was our waiter. Very professional. Onion soup in pastry was to die for. We enjoyed the brie though I wish it had been warmed. We had chateaubriand then called a cart to attend chocolate night at Hemingways. Gracias Luis for our special coffees.

El Gaucho was a favorite. Garlic shrimp are to die for. We had excellent salads, mashed potatoes and rib eyes with veggies. Daniel was very professional.

On our last night the butlers informed us that Helios would be opened for dinner. We were not disappointed. Our waiter was excellent. Sorry only recall his name began with F. He kindly brought us each a plate with samples of all appetizers. We then debated on garlic shrimp & coconut shrimp. As we couldn’t decide he brought us both!! Excellent.

For breakfast we usually ate at Capricho off the lobby. We ordered omelets off the menu and enjoyed offerings from the tasting stations. Breakfast here is leisurely. We had lunch at Helios which was usually very good. Opening blips improved by the end of the week, A favorite meal of ours was the burger with guac and shrimp. This was delicious but we sometimes got a slight variation. All good and usually made us smile. We greatly enjoyed our Mexican food at the Punta Emilia beach bar and hope that TRS adds some Mexican food to the menu or to the Heiios beach bar area. One day they had paella set up so maybe the same could be done with tacos, guacamole.

There is food & beverage service around the pool & salt water pool. Menu consists of bagels, wraps, sandwiches, empanadas, pastry, ice cream.

Staff/service:

Outstanding. Both old friends and new staff. (Some wear pins indicating they’re in training.) Be kind. Everything is new and all work hard. Can’t do enough. More than ample staff. Those working on TRS expressed that they are proud to be there. (Alejandro comes to mind. Gracias!)

Wine/alcohol

MUCH improved. Excellent house wine on TRS and top shelf liquor.

Food allergies

I was asked about food allergies at every restaurant I went to and I think it may have been entered into a computer because everyone seemed to know about my one unique allergy. My daughter’s friends who had multiple allergies were turned away from Sumptuori as their safety could not be guaranteed. I applaud the resort for this.

Entertainment

Very nice touches like violins at breakfast, music at the pool, con class at Royal & in Colonial lobby. My daughter went out “at night” and met many young people at Colonial. On her last night she met so many fun people we considered staying on.

Santa arrived by parachute on Colonial beach on Christmas. Kids were delighted.

Transportation

Many new carts all over the resort. More than ample Royal carts.

Spa

I negotiated a massage for my daughter with the rep who walks around. She thought is was excellent and very relaxing.

WiFi

Excellent at TRS and worked all over resort.

Currency:

I got pesos at home and recommend this. I got a rate of 18 to 1 US. Airports were offering 14 or 15 to 1 US. It was very easy having pesos.

Overall:

We were so happy & relaxed at the resort that we didn’t leave. We felt like we were in a different world. It is a beautiful property and once fully up and running will be exceptional. Based on it being a new property, they are doing a remarkable job. Can’t wait to get back.

Anne
        Keymaster

Response from Rosa

Rosa R, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at TRS Yucatan Hotel, responded to this review
          Responded yesterday
          Dear Anne,

All the team in TRS Yucatán was very excited to welcome you in our renovated facilities, pamper you and your daughter during this Christmas holidays and celebrate a fabulous birthday together!

Thank you for giving us this pleasure, your comments will be gladly shared with Memo and the Smiles services team that made this day for your daughter so special.

We are also very proud of all the new staff of our team, who have managed to earn your recognition, be sure that we will share your motivating words with them and with Bety, Alberto, Ricardo, Alex and all staff that always considers you part of our family.

Your great feedback has already been communicated to our Managers; we know that our repeat clients are our best judges and we are delighted to know that everything you have experienced has been wonderful, nevertheless, we will also work on all the details that you have mentioned and that we know we can improve.

Again, thank you for your undoubted trust; we look forward to your next visit to again exceed your expectations We look forward to your next visit to again exceed your expectations and to further enliven your love for our people and our Hotel.

Our best wishes for this year!

Rosa Rivero
          Hospitality Manager

Boatchick
          Participant

Great TR… Wow all the changes and new restaurants… Looks like our next visit, I will be feeling like I did in 2004, our first visit…LOl…

It is always comforting and pleasant when you reunite with staff that have been there since the opening days… that says a lot about a resort and how they treat their staff.

I can just imagine how excited Alberto is with the upcoming birth of his son!It seems our GP family is growing with the birth of Fernie’s daughter and a son on the way for Alberto.

Glad you had a wonderful time reconnecting with your daughter…

Hoping when our life settles down, we will be returning “home” too.

Thanks for filling us in on all the New and exciting changes.

Viewing 2 reply threads
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
        Translate »