• This topic has 2 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by Anne.
Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      summerlove
      Participant

It has been a while since I have ridden one. Coming in next week with friends who have never been to Mexico. Where is the employee’s tunnel to go thru for access to the collectivos? They do take American money and not just pesos, right? My husband always paid in pesos and of course I barely paid attention. Thought we could take a quick trip to Paamul for a few hours. Does not appear to be too far away from the resort on the map. Do the collectivos come to the resort and different times or will we need to stand on the highway on the proper side to catch one going that direction?

Blueskies
        Participant

The colectivo to Playa del Carmen stop is on the same side of the highway as the resort just outside the gates. They come by pretty often , 10 to 15 min wait at most. The stop for Akumal and Tulum is across the highway. For safety reasons, I suggest using the employee tunnel to get across the highway. (Walk towards the gate from Colonial lobby and take a right before you get to the gate.) Very easy. I always use pesos so cant comment as to if they take USD.

Here is a link to some more info from a great article.

https://unofficialpalladium.com/forums/topic/mayan-riviera-transportation/#post-4456

Anne
          Keymaster

The last time we went to Playa there was a colectivo waiting outside of the Colonial gate. We sat on it for about 15 mins. waiting for it to fill up. If you’d rather not wait walk to the right where there is a palapa stand where the colectivos stop.  They go north on the same side of the highway as the hotel. To go south use the employee tunnel to the right of the Colonial lobby.  (Follow employees to find it) You can safely cross the highway using the tunnel and then catch a colectivo on the highway. They do take pesos and US (no coins).

Viewing 2 reply threads
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
        Translate »