¡Bienvenidos! Forums Trip Reports Fabulous adventure in Punta Cana

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • Author
      Anne
      Keymaster

Punta Cana Mike’s Taste of Macao

This was our first trip to Punta Cana and we wanted to take one excursion off the resort that would expose us to the local culture. This was the perfect excursion for us and proved to be a highlight of our trip.

I contacted Mike via his website to inquire about an excursion over Christmas week. He got back to me and said he was planning something for Dec. 29th. I told him to sign me up. There is no deposit or up-front payment required. He then sent me confirmation a few days before the trip with pick-up time.

After picking up a few others (total guests were about 14) we headed to a local Hoyo or village where Mike helps in sponsoring a school. Although it was school vacation the kids were excitedly waiting for us as our mini bus pulled up. The kids were hugging us in a warm welcome. Mike purchased water for us from a local vendor and we got a tour of the Hoyo and school. Some of us brought school supplies or candy for the kids. This was definitely an eye opening experience.

After leaving there we drove to a complex “Don Lucas” where they make chocolates, cigars and rum, There were free samples of alt three and the opportunity to purchase any of those items.. It was interesting seeing how these things are made.
        Mike also provided cold drinks here

We then drove to beautiful Macao Beach to a rustic “restaurant” (D’Bales) on the beach where “Momma” cooks seafood fresh off the boat. We were shown coolers with the daily catch. That day it consisted of three kinds of fish, lobsters and a small amount of shrimp. We told Momma what we wanted. For those who don’t eat seafood, chicken could be ordered ahead. While we waited for lunch to be cooked we had time to enjoy the beach and take pics. Lunch was eaten outdoors and was delicious. Mike supplied soft drinks, water & beer. We each paid our very reasonable “checks” separately and we were n our way..

Overall an awesome day with some nice people and a taste of the local culture. Mike was very knowledgeable and a fun guy to be with. I highly recommend this excursion which is well worth the price and provides the opportunity to support the local community.

Viewing 0 reply threads
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
    Translate »