¡Bienvenidos! Forums Trip Reports GP Costa Mujeres & TRS – detailed report

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • Author
      Anne
      Keymaster

Posted with permission – Jay Martin

Hi everyone! We were at TRS Coral from November 21st until November 27th. We stayed in a Loft Suite (Room 2308) for the entire time. Our room had 2 double beds. Here’s a rundown of our experience and thoughts on the property. I will also be using our March 2018 trip to TRS Yucatan as a point of comparison.

First, our transfer company, Happy Shuttle Cancun, was great. For $64 round trip we had our own comfortable private van that took us straight to the resort and had 4 ice cold Coronas waiting for us. The drive from the airport to the resort was approximately 40-45 minutes, but was comfortable and didn’t feel too long. Happy Shuttle definitely beat shared transportation. I will also note that according to other guests we met the Palladium included transport was not running properly and people had to get cabs; i’m definitely glad we got our own transport instead of working with the hotel.

The Costa Mujeres area looks like it has a lot of construction going on these days beyond just the GP/TRS property. Lots of construction equipment, buses for workers, etc.

FIRST LOOKS — Upon arrival we were impressed with the look of the property. The vegetation was clearly still a work in progress (palm trees still not untied, some of the landscaping not grown in) but on its own the property is still beautiful. I will admit we were a little surprised how much work still needed to be done on the resort, but the facilities that were available were generally great. Regardless of where we were, GP or TRS side, all the staff were working extremely hard to make everyone happy.

CHECK-IN — Check-in was generally good (the hot towel and sparking wine, also given at TRS Yucatan, were nice touches) but not yet up to the standard we experienced at TRS Yucatan. While the check-in staff were good, we were put off by how quickly the PTC salespeople swooped down. They were a lot more aggressive at TRS Coral throughout our stay than they ever were at Yucatan. In contrast, we were only approached once well into our stay at Yucatan about the travel club. However the staff beyond the PTC part were all great.

OUR ROOM — We had been assigned a Loft Suite with a king bed. However, since it faced outwards and not toward the TRS pool we opted for the double bed suite. We figured facing inward would minimize the construction noise. That was the case, as we generally had no issues with construction noise through the trip.

We also were lucky to be in building two. I think this may have changed since we got back but about half of Building 2 toward the ocean and most of Building 1 was still incomplete. We made friends with a couple from Texas who had been placed in Building 1 and had a multitude of problems with their room. (various appliances not working, etc.) They were eventually moved to Building 2 and were much happier.

In terms of our room, it was beautiful, and a lot bigger than the photos give credit. The balcony was huge and the hot tub is very large (2-4 pax could sit comfortably). We had a few problems, namely that the upstairs air conditioning wasn’t working when we arrived. However, maintenance was very attentive and solved that problem quickly. They did, however, take a day to put the ceiling tile back in after removing it to fix the A/C. Our butlers Reuben and Alicia were very attentive, though it was clear throughout our stay that there were still some major communication issues. As opposed to other guests, we never really got the liquor bottles we wanted, though we did eventually get a bottle of Havana Club. We weren’t really given options, and for the first 2 days the butlers didn’t seem to know what options, if any, there were.

On the bright side, the butlers were very good at keeping our two minibars stocked (one on each floor of the loft suite) and providing us with extra bottled water and Heineken. The beds were ok (just on slats and not a box spring) and there was a wide variety of pillows (soft and firm) available that worked out well. The bathroom was well appointed, with an iron, steamer, and hair dryer available. The tub and shower were beautiful. There was also ample closet space for clothes. The one downside to the upstairs bathroom is that the doors opened inward to the bathroom, making access to some of the cabinet space complicated.

The TV selection was consistent with the TRS Yucatan, with the exception that we didn’t get the Miami affiliates of NBC, CBS, ABC, etc. There was also a significant lag in the stream on TV.

Room service was attentive, and, in my opinion, quicker than the Yucatan was. The TV ordering system and phone system both worked out well. The room service was ok, though the restaurant food was definitely better. I will say, however, that it wasn’t always very easy to track down a butler.

SPA — I honestly think the Zentropia at the Riviera Maya property is better. The hydrotherapy circuit at RM seemed nicer, and while the ice room and salt room seemed cool, they didn’t really seem to have a purpose. I think that the RM circuit makes more sense. Perhaps when the second level of the spa opens it’ll get better. My only big complaint with service was also with the spa. The staff denied me a locker (which was eventually sorted out with me sharing with my fiancee) because I hadn’t purchased a massage. I was turned off by this since as a TRS guest the spa facilities were advertised as being at my full disposal. At RM I got a locker without any problem. It was also very clear that there was a lot of construction still going on with the spa. A lot of elements were missing. All in all, however, I thought it was fine, but I wouldn’t rate the spa as being equivalent to what you find in a 5 star property (i.e. the Breakers in Palm Beach).

POOL — The TRS Pool and GP Beach Pool were both very pretty. Bar service was top notch and the roving servers were attentive. On several days the resort ran a barbecue at the pool which was a nice touch. The alcohol on tap at TRS Coral is a step up from TRS Yucatan (i.e. Zacapa instead of Botran, Carlos I brandy, Heineken and Bohemia beer). The bar staff all worked very hard to keep guests satisfied.

Sadly, the pool is also where I saw some of the staff mistreated. Several guests were extremely rude and condescending to the staff, barking orders for another drink and not even acknowledging the job they were doing. Also, several guests took it upon themselves to do cannonballs by the pool bar, splashing water on the staff. I personally thought the staff was a little unnerved by it and I frankly found that behavior inappropriate.

The entertainment brought in was all good. We experienced DJ Lala with a saxophonist, another DJ, a female trio, and a male trio. All did a great job. Overall, I would give the pool 5 stars. GP Beach Pool was also nice but we preferred the bar selection and service at TRS.

BEACH — The beach is a step up from the RM property. I think when they develop it a bit more (clean out sandspurs, etc.) it’ll be even better. The service was good and the sand and water quality was good. There’s still a seaweed issue but I think you’ll find that anywhere in Mexico these days.

POP ENTERTAINMENT — One of the highlights of our trip was the POP team in TRS Coral. Jorge, Alejandro, and the entire team were an absolute joy. We took two dance lessons from Jorge and also participated in the pool biking. We both agree Jorge is one of the best staff members at the resort. He made sure we had fun, and broke up the beach-pool-bar cycle with good and engaging events. We now are using some Salsa and Bachata moves we learned from him! Alejandro did a Tequila tasting for us on the beach that we enjoyed, and it was both fun and educational.

RESTAURANTS AND BARS — Breakfast at Capricho was good, and similar to the TRS Yucatan selection. However, the a la carte and buffet options at TRS Coral were much smaller than what was available at Yucatan. The a la carte options also seemed more limited.

As others have posted, the GP Isla Blanca breakfast buffet had a greater and better selection. We ended up eating breakfast the last 2 days there because of it. The Helios menu continued to expand while we were at the resort, and the staff and service were good. The view was also very nice. The fajitas at Helios were our favorite item, along with the ceviche.

Poseidon was also good, and the staff were great about being attentive towards us. I was able to get a sandwich cooked from scratch, which I appreciated. One of our favorite dinners was at Boghali, where the lamb was spectacular. The Sumptori sushi bar was also very good, although the ordering was a little confusing since you went through your waiter and not the chefs standing in front of you.

We enjoyed Gaucho and ate there twice. Jesus, our server, was great and we enjoyed running into him throughout our stay. The lobster at Gaucho was better than at Boheme. I heard from other guests the steak at El Dorado was better, but we never ate there. Also, the house Tempranillo is far better than most of the red wines you’d pay for (if it’s been properly chilled). We enjoyed it throughout our stay. It was a nice touch that they kept the Tempranillo slightly chilled (as good red wine should be) everywhere but the Boheme/Tapeo bar. The cuts of steak were good, but it would be nice to have the Cowboy Steak or an equivalent on the Gaucho menu. The lighting in Gaucho could’ve been turned down, since it blocked out the view of the sea and sometimes felt harsh. However, if you got a table by the windows it was a beautiful view.

Boheme was good. We still didn’t get the onion soup but the Vichysoisse, Pate, and Lamb were good. The lobster I had was fine but the Gaucho one was superior. The bar between Boheme and Tapeo was beautiful, and the service was excellent. Ivan, our bartender, did a great job and was very personable. He also introduced us to Carlos I brandy, which was in stiff competition with Torres 10 as our favorite brandy (we drink a fair amount of brandy at home so that was a treat).

Tapeo is beautiful and the menu was very good. I will say, however, that there’s no dish that stands out, but we enjoyed our dinner all the same. The Xtra Time Sports Bar was a welcome amenity, and we had a good time visiting over there when at the village. The food they put out (fries, onion rings, etc.) was all nice. The staff was also, like everywhere else at the property, top notch.

Piacere was one of my favorite spots, since i’m an espresso junkie. The desserts were also very good. I will say, however, that I hope that the Costa Mujeres property follows the Riviera Maya in having espresso machines at every bar. I prefer traditional espresso to the Nespresso capsules, and appreciated having quick and easy access to espresso throughout the resort. When we were at the resort I only saw espresso machines at Piacere and Xtra Time. I saw some Nespresso machines elsewhere, but they weren’t widespread (i.e. at the pool bars). I’m hoping that as the staff get trained this will change.

We stopped by Portofino for dessert and drinks one night. The staff was great and the dessert (profiteroles) was on point. We also stopped by Adelita for a drink. The bar was beautiful and the service good. The TRS Lobby Bar is beautiful, and the service is great. The piano players we heard were top notch. Our server, whose name escapes me, kept our Zacapa 23 flowing and made sure we were well taken care of.

CHIC CABERET — Our butler could never quite figure out if the show was going to happen, and then tracked us down to say we had a reservation and could go. However, she didn’t give us a ticket. When we arrived at the show Monday night (the first showing) we weren’t on the list. However, Joby, a staff member, worked us in and found us a table. We were extremely thankful they got us in. I will say the Chic at Yucatan is great, but the Chic at Costa Mujeres is outstanding. The performers and choreography of the dancers was beautiful. The show reminded me a lot of what you’d think of with a Havana/Copacabana show, and we loved every act. The Chic food was good, though I expect the menu will be expanded as the resort comes more online. All of the staff (who we saw the next day at Helios and the TRS pool) were working extremely hard. I think Chic is one of the best benefits we had as TRS guests.

RECREATION/ACTIVITIES/GYM — Aside from POP, recreation and activities was probably the most negative part of our trip. We were told that kayaking required an extra cost, even though it was included. This probably goes back to a lack of communication between management and butlers. We also had to use this group and other resources outside the resort to find out exactly what was going on. Hopefully the resort will get better at telling its staff what’s available, and post activities schedules in a way that makes them more accessible.

While the equipment in the Gym is pristine and new, the facility definitely needed cleaning, and was dusty and dirty from construction. The POP staff member assigned was very helpful, but some maintenance of the gym would help.

FINAL THOUGHTS—We enjoyed our trip, and would probably go back again a few years from now. I think we enjoyed it more because we were familiar with the TRS/Palladium brand. If it was my first trip to a TRS hotel, however, I would still opt for Yucatan. I would say that it would’ve been better for management to underpromise more when marketing the hotel. It definitely wasn’t finished when we were there, and a lot of the signature spaces (sky bar, parts of the spa, theatre, church, thai restaurant) were far from being complete. However, I can’t say enough about the staff. They worked hard through less than ideal circumstances, and sometimes clearly were overstretched, especially when the PTC party began. The people who work at TRS Coral/GP are all 5-Star.

Viewing 0 reply threads
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
    Translate »