¡Bienvenidos! Forums Trip Reports It Becomes What you Make it #8 by RUcruzin

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • Author
      Anne
      Keymaster

It is what it is. It becomes what you make it.”
        4 of 5 starsReviewed 4 days ago NEW
        We first went to the Palladium in 2005. It was our first all inclusive, first time in Mexico. We had a nice time, but we both got sick. The husband very sick, me only mildly. When I wrote my review people said, it was probably food off the resort. We hadn’t gone anywhere else. They said, you probably drank too much. Well, we didn’t drink. Every excuse that the loyal customers could think of,.. we had to defend ourselves. No, unfortunately, it was true. We did get sick at the resort. I am almost positive that it was due to an under cooked hamburger. His was less done, mine slightly more done, but under cooked never the less. Stuff happens and it could have happened anywhere. It’s also possibly that it was Norovirus that we picked up from another traveler. However, we have not been sick, ever since.

It wasn’t until 2009, that we returned to the Palladium. That trip was one of the best we have ever experienced. However, we are not walking, talking billboards for Palladium. If I have something bad to say, I’ll say it. I don’t over glorify and I don’t bash. When I am reading reviews, I always throw out the ones that are over the top, along with those who say it’s horrible.

I have intended to write unbiased reviews for our past couple visits, but I regret that I have not gotten around to it. So, now, I will attempt to recreate, to the best of my knowledge, a few things that might be of help.

For the most part, I have experienced nothing, except wonderful, helpful, friendly, hardworking staff. Of course, there are those employees who are having a bad day, who are training, missing their families, or some who might be on the lazy side. I believe, it is my attitude that attracts the service I expect, no matter where I travel. I treat them with respect and kindness, they reciprocate. My only real complaint is, the staff in the buffets, especially at breakfast. It can be difficult to get their attention for coffee, or water. Another are for improvement would be in the al a cart restaurants. I feel that when I tell the waiters that I have been there before, I would prefer that they do not give their whole speech about everything and how it works, simply ask me, “do you have any questions?”

As many times as I have been to Palladium (I think 8?) I am continually amazed by the grounds and how beautiful they are. I see workers grooming, trimming, pruning, etc. all day long. I realize that some of the rooms can be slightly run down, but I do not go looking for cracked tiles, mold in the mirrors, tired and worn curtains or bed linens. Hard beds, concrete pillows are not my favorite, so I come prepared. I realize that this is Mexico. I’ve seen way worse. I’ve stayed in way worse and it didn’t kill me. The little geckos that sneak inside the room fascinate me. The little black ants are everywhere, it is a jungle after all.

I read a review saying it felt like Groundhog Day. I laughed because we have said the same thing. Get up, go to the beach bar and grab a cappuccino, watch the sunrise. Go back to the room, get ready. Go to breakfast, similar food options every day. Head to the beach, lay in the sun, get in the water for a few hours. Grab some lunch and then go back to the beach. Walk to the outdoor buffets and get an ice cream cone. Go to the adult pool for some quiet time. Head back to the room for a nap and shower. Decide where to eat and go to dinner. Catch a show, people watch, connect to the internet and share photos on Facebook. Call it a night and go to bed. Wake up, repeat. Yep, it does become slightly redundant and after a week, I’m all done, ready to go home and see my puppies.

What is unfortunate about that review is, the person didn’t know about how many wonderful, nearby things there were to do. You have La Playa Xpu Ha, about 10 minutes North. A beautiful, secluded beach where we always spend a day and get a massage. Akumal, which is 10 minutes south. Walk the beach, swim with the turtles, check out any number of beach bars and restaurants with views, good food and great service. A full day can easily be spent, in Tulum at the ruins, the beaches and pueblo. It is about 25 minutes away, but well worth the experience. Go for the ruins, stay for the day while you stroll the beach and sample things like a basil margarita. Head further south for more Tulum beaches that have a totally different vibe. We simply walk out to the road, catch a collective for a few pesos and go wherever we want. I can totally understand how you might feel stuck, if you don’t know what is nearby and how to get around.

That nasty beach! Well, bummer! It is unfortunate that nature has decided to dump copious amounts of sargassum on that beautiful beach and beaches all across the Caribbean. It is not algae, it’s a seaweed and it comes in, in such tremendous waves that it cannot be controlled. Last visit, we watched workers clean up piles and piles of the stuff. I cannot even imagine the cost and the man hours that the resort is having to put in for the cleanup, to keep the guests happy. This is the worst I have ever seen it, in all the years we have been traveling to the area. It smells terrible and it looks bad. Walking on it hurts your feet when it’s dried out and the sand fleas are busy in the rotting, wet sargassm. It absolutely ruins the view of the beach, but it’s nature at work and who can control that?

The beach at Palladium is one of our favorite beaches in the area and that is one of the reasons we keep going back. It has a little something to offer everyone. Rocky ironshore for snorkelers and soft white sand for swimmers and soakers. Depending on the rains and tides, you can have a rocky, treacherous entrance to the water or, a soft sand entrance. Again, nature controls that, so I come prepared with waters shoes, just in case.

The water at the resort, again, is another reason we choose to go back. It’s nice to not have to worry about brushing your teeth, or getting it in your mouth when you shower. I do drink water straight out of the tap and I have never had a problem with that.

The resort is huge, that’s a fact. Plan on walking or waiting. Personally, I would rather spend 10 minutes walking, than 5 minutes waiting. I am too impatient for that nonsense. So, by the time we leave the resort, our legs are exhausted. It is 18-21 steps up to the top of those bridges, nothing is close, really. We always request a 3rd floor room and that is another 36 steps to the top. Yes, I have counted. I mean, when you are trekking everywhere, what else do you have to do, except count the steps. Some days, I just can’t face climbing those steps ONE MORE TIME. But, I do it and it hasn’t killed me yet. When it is all said and done, I am happy that I have walked so far, otherwise my clothes might not fit me at the end of the trip. The other wonderful thing about that is, no matter what time of year we have visited, the resort never feels crowded. No matter what the occupancy level, there are always quiet, romantic, relaxing places, away from the crowds. Your’e gonna get lost, there’s no two ways about it. We still get lost. So… get lost, wander and make it a fun adventure.

The food… well, it is resort food. We have had wonderful meals, we have had good meals and we have had a few disappointing meals. The one thing I have found is, if you don’t find something you like, ask. The staff is more than willing to accommodate your requests. For instance, I am a weird food person, allergic to many things and very picky. After walking the full length of the buffet at least twice, not finding anything I can, or feel inclined to eat… I was asked if I needed help. I told them I am allergic to eggs and wheat. May I please have a corn tortilla quesadilla, pico de gallo and some crema? The guy got on his radio and five minutes later, it was delivered to my table, beautiful presentation. All freshly made, just for me, when hundreds of other guests filled the buffet. Strange requests for “a no egg omelet please” have been met with a smile. That particular chef, to this day sees me coming and says, “no huevo?” with a smile.

Drinks are not watered down, if you feel that way, ask for a shot of whatever is in our drinnk or tell them, “more…” They will give you MORE, I promise

So, to wrap this up… Is this resort perfect? No. Some of the rooms, beds, pillows linens, etc. are tired and need to be replaced. There are bugs, critters, mosquitoes and nuisances. Not all of the staff works as hard as the majority of the staff. Food can become repetitive after a week. The wifi is terrible! That would have to be my biggest complaint. Plan on walking long distances to reach your destination, or waiting for a train, cart, or other transportation.

But here is my take. Go with a positive attitude. Treat people the way you want to be treated. Be kind, be polite. If something is wrong, politely let them know about it. Some things can be fixed, some things can’t. If your vacation is ruined, it is because you chose to let something ruin it. If you don’t like what you are eating, put it down and go get something else. We have never gone hungry at this resort. While I am picky, I am also open to trying new things. If you walk around happy and having fun, you will attract happiness and fun. It’s Mexico, people get sick, unfortunately. Be prepared. Ask your Doctor for a prescription of Cipro. Bring diarrhea meds and anti nausea meds if you can get your hands on them. Don’t expect it, but it can happen. Bring your own pillow! Do some research about surrounding areas, you don’t have to take an expensive tour to get out and enjoy the local food and culture. Personally, I avoid Playa Del Carmen at all costs. Enjoy and interact with the staff. Many of them are Mayan and nothing pleases them more than teaching you a few words in Mayan. Then watch them light up when you see them next time and say, “Mas Ha!” More water. It’s the simple things that make all the difference in your trip and their day.

Personally, I love the staff. Ten years later, I still recognize people who I met during my first visit there. And when I encounter an employee who is having a bad day, I ask them, why aren’t you happy, what’s going on? Most of the time, they have a legitimate complaint. They have lives outside work, just like we do. They have family drama. They work very long hours, six days in a row or more. Sometimes, it is a complaint about a rude guest. I’ve witnessed them being mistreated by guests and I do whatever I can to turn that around for them, encourage them and get them back on track. Don’t be that guest… The one who ruins the day for an employee and other guests. Take a long hard look at the people who are picking up trash all day long and imagine what their life is like. Go hand them a $1 or more and know that you just made their whole week!

We have stayed in the Kantenah section, the Royal Suites and the Riviera section. All have their own unique charms, advantages and disadvantages. We enjoy them all.

We have booked other resorts, just for a change of scenery. Everytime… after reading reviews of the other resorts, we always come back to the Palladium and have never been disappointed. We know what we are getting. We know what to expect.

I’ve never been on a perfect vacation. It is, what it is. It becomes what you make it. I choose to make it good! Go, relax and enjoy. Throw out any illusion you might have that this vacation is going to be perfect. Then when something isn’t perfect, go looking for something that makes you happy. Don’t go looking for problems, you’ll find them, I promise. Go with the expectation that the power is within you to have and create joy. You’ll find it, I promise. Happy travels everyone. See ya on the beach!

Viewing 0 reply threads
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
    Translate »