¡Bienvenidos! Forums Trip Reports Loved our trip to GP Colonial

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • Author
      Anne
      Keymaster

By A. Tavares

Today we leave but I wanted to leave an honest review of Colonial before I leave this group.
        My husband and I came here with our 1 year old and 3year old which is a challenge in itself (Lol). After a full day of travels we took a private transport with Agitours Cancún which was excellent. Prompt and friendly staff and quick responses as needed via email. (They even returned my son’s shoe to security that was left in van at arrival).

We were greeted with friendly staff who graciously took our photos at the entrance, promptly took care of our luggage and checked our carseats without issue.

Front desk was informative and friendly, the drink at arrival was tasty. Luisa was our concierge and she was friendly and communicative (Expedia or what’s app). We had zero issues booking restaurants. In fact, Luisa was in touch with me days before our travels and booked our reservations to El Dorado and Tempanyakki at Somptouri. She booked us at Bahia e Brasa at arrival.

Our room was a poolside villa room 2121 just minutes from restaurants, pool,and beach. We had requested first floor, pull out couch, king bed, and crib. The only thing missing was the crib. I had to call a few times but I was fine as long as we had crib before bed time. We received crib with mattress and sheet (not pack n play). I thought crib was way better due to mattress being more comfortable and this being more familiar to our son. We thought the room was beautiful, sure there’s areas dated but we appreciate that classic Mexican decor/vibe. Air conditioning was perfect once we figured it out.

It did smell musty but only the first day.

El Dorado was delicious! Salad bar had interesting variety, filet mignon cooked perfect. Children’s menu available. Good desserts. Good service.

I thought La Hacienda had a huge and delicious variety of breakfast foods and they also have a great lunch variety. I got sunny sids eggs each day and the coffee machine that makes whatever you want was awesome. I lived on Americanos lol. Dinner is so/so there. We also went to La Dahlia at White Sands for dinner one night. More upscale food options, less options than La Hacienda.

The Tempanyakki at Somptouri was a lot of fun. Food was delicious. The fried ice cream was FANTASTIC. Great service. Not a big show during cooking but enough.

Bahia e Brasa had a great salad bar and was fun. There’s a red and green block on table and depending on color you put on top determines if you are eating at salad bar or ready for meat or done. Large variety of meats. I like meat but not fatty meat so it wasn’t my favorite here. My husband loved this place. My daughter who never eats meat also ate here. I was shocked.
        Portofinos was excellent. Great service, another good salad bar, dinner was delicious. I got the mahi mahi.

We also attended dinner and entertainment at Bravo. It was fun. Delicious food. Cool vibe. Our kids were difficult because it was late but overall fun.

White Sands is a beautiful resort, much quieter with nice scenery and rooms on the water. Not a long walk from our villa. Colonial was perfect combo of adult and child entertainment. The shows were excellent!! Our kids loved the Raggs breakfast and nighttime show. The Pop show and Mexican show were so good! They have great dancers/entertain. The outdoor beach party was fun too.

The main colonial pool is BEAUTIFUL!! But you can’t touch bottom in most of it . So I one arm swam most of it with my toddler in his floaty. There’s a round column section that has bubbles like a Jacuzzi but it’s pool water temp our kids loved it. The water in pool was perfect and refreshing. You do have to swim your way to the swim up bar. I spilt half my drink trying to swim my way back with one lol. Definitely tip at that bar and you’ll get way better drink service..the times we tipped they would just keep making drinks without us asking. The passion fruit margarita frozen was really good. I liked the passion fruit martini too.

The beach is beautiful. There was some sargassum but every morning they pick it up. It’s washed ashore but doesn’t impact swimming. Water was very refreshing. You can see some fish swimming around you. Beach is not big but extends far. Difficult to get a chair. Sunrise is gorgeous and worth getting up for (6:25am-ish) We ended up getting chairs each day by the back of the pool closest to beach so we could go back and forth. There’s an outdoor lunch everyday with live music at the pool which was nice. Outdoor restaurant is buffet style, also pretty good. Iguanas everywhere. They like to eat hibiscus fyi lol it does take a bit to get a drink from server at the pool. I don’t drink much so I brought water from our rooms.

Our kids loved the water park. You can’t go down the slides with your kids or lifeguard will yell at you but you can go up with them.

The gym is in the spa and has what you need including towels and water. The gym is clean and was never too crowded for me I went everyday at 6. You’ll see good amount of wildlife at that time (coatis, those hog rat looking things lol, birds) and a super friendly gray cat. Not a stray, has collar.

Room service was not great, we figured we’d try it once. Chicken nuggets for kids overcooked. Sandwich and burger was meh. No condiments.

The coffee in room is good. There’s a bag of nuts, bag of chips, snickers, plenty of bottled water, and soda variety and beer in room and restocked daily.I would tip housekeeper daily for better service. The front desk calls daily to ensure we are having a good experience which is nice too. Hot water in room good

If you leave resort, going to the Akumal monkey sanctuary is a lot of fun. You get to hold a snake, maccaws, and do a money encounter. We rented a car for 24 hrs and went to a local mall too. We also stopped at some hole in the wall food places for the authentic Mexican food. Delicious.
        Any questions, I’m happy to answer them.

We loved it here, resort is absolutely beautiful!!
        Not one drop of rain and gorgeous weather entire week

Viewing 0 reply threads
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
    Translate »