¡Bienvenidos! Forums Trip Reports Perfect resort – TRS Cap Cana

Tagged: 

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • Author
      Anne
      Keymaster

Thank you Kerry W

I think the negative comments on here (FB) (outside of limitations due to the hurricane) stem from lack of research. This is a fans page, so you are likely to read reviews from people who enjoyed it…so comments that the reviews are misleading aren’t really fair. Trip advisor is a great place to do a full investigation of your destination choices prior to booking, then join a fan page for more personalized tips and info and to share your own experiences once you have been. Whether or not this is a great or subpar experience depends on the type of vacation you are looking for. If you want quiet relaxation with amazing service…I can’t think of a better place to go. If you are looking for a constant party with multiple restaurants and buffets to choose from…this is not the place for you. I have travelled extensively throughout the south, DR, Mexico, Cuba, Costa Rica. I have always enjoyed the people of the DR the most. September was my 21st trip to the DR, my first trip to any TRS hotel. As with every trip, i research on trip advisor, joined this group and then made my decision to go. It was exactly as my research had led me to believe, but even better. I have never had personal service like this at any resort and I usually stay at adults only, luxury level resorts when not travelling with my kids (at least once a year without kids, once a year with). Here are a few points to consider:
        The food is good, better than most in the DR, not as good as resorts in Mexico, but always something delicious to eat.
        The variety of food is not large, breakfast is a little boring, but fresh and tasty, (meats and cheeses are great) Lunch menu at Helios and the pool grill are amazing…once I tried the grilled chicken wings at the grill, I was torn between the yummy seafood dishes at Helios, or just chicken wings by the pool. If you haven’t been yet…try the seafood casserole at lunch, don’t be afraid to ask for addons…for instance, when I got it the first time it was a variety of fish chunks and shellfish is a yummy broth…I asked them to bring me some bread to dip in the sauce, The second time I ordered it the waiter remembered I liked to soak up the sauce, he brought me bread and also a side of white rice to add to it…this is the service you will get if you are friendly and communicate with them. Yes, there are only 2 restaurant options every night, but technically 2 or 3 rotating menu’s (I think they add an additional one in high season)…this is a resort that usually has around 100 guests this time of year…who would even think there would be more restaurants than that each night at a resort of this size? with 20 or so dishes on each menu at the Italian, steakhouse, Helios, and the Dominican theme menu (once a week) plus an extensive room service menu, I missed trying several things I wanted to, as there simply wasn’t time…if you need to go to a different building every night to feel there is food variety…this resort isn’t for you. I could have been happy eating at Helios alone for a week that’s how great the service was and the atmosphere of sitting right on the beach to eat (I’d tke that view and service over a buffet or multiple al a Cartes in generic buildings any day) they always brought my husband Grand Marnier after dinner every night after the first time he asked for it, called us by name, and went out of their way to make sure we had everything we could possibly want. I hv had better food at other resorts, but i have never had better meals if that makes sense.
        The drinks are good brands and made well, again, they will go out of their way to make it how you like.
        Activities, I was there to relax by the pool, but i was continuously offered activities which I usually declined, but there were things to do if I chose. There was a great DJ (even played a huge selection of songs I asked for in his lineup on my birthday). This resort experience is what you make it…it is not boring.
        Nightlife, there is very little to do at night, but there is always something on the schedule, DJ, Karaoke, Outdoor show etc. so in line with a small quiet resort, no blasting beats, no disco, that is not this place. This is perfect for a couple’s resort for relaxed enjoyment, not for a party, although my experience says, you can make your own party when the cocktails are good and plentiful. And to be fair, 20 minutes on trip advisor tells you not to expect a nightlife party scene…I’m still amazed when I read a review where people say “we arrived, there was no night life, it was quiet and boring, so we moved resorts” did you read any reviews before booking? In this day and age, there is no reason to travel anywhere without a pretty good idea of what you want and what you will get…everything is available to research, I even read all menu’s before I go, so I don’t understand people who get to a destination and say “it wasn’t what I was expecting”. I did research, this is why I booked here, quiet, relaxation, because that’s what I wanted, if that’s not what you want, this is not the resort for you.
        Beach….there is no Beach!!!!!!! This is posted and listed everywhere, this shouldn’t be a surprise. There is a tiny strip of sand with some chairs on it that meet the ocean, but if you are a beach person, this is not the resort for you. There is a fantastic beach that you can be shuttled to (one of the best in the DR) outside of hurricne problems currently, this is a great option. I once again was very aware of this with some research prior to going, I’m a pool person so this wasn’t an issue for me. In low season there is an odor on really hot days from the stagnant water and seaweed that hathers in the small inlet, this is unavoidable and I have had the same issues at luxury resorts in Mexico…mother nature does what she wants. The staff work hard to remove the excess seaweed to help this. I found it strong twice for about 30 minutes in my week there on a couple of days where there was little to no breeze, I was able to easily move to another location on the other side of the pool to avoid the smell and it dissipated shortly anyway, this is not a dealbreaker for me and happens everywhere on resorts that sit in an inlet or smaller bay.
        I loved this resort, will be going back this winter, this is exactly what I want for a week away at this time and stage in my life (50 with a busy work life, so I want relaxed and quiet) but it wouldn’t be for everyone…do your research…decide and once you’ve been post what you love and don’t love…but I also suggest not joining a “fan” page and saying the positive reviews are misleading…not saying a fan page can’t have negative reviews, but they will definitely be outweighed by positive…check out trip advisor to read the good bad and the ugly. It allows you to see thousands of actual traveler photos and get a sense of if it’s a resort meets what you are looking for. And most important, in the DR, you get treated well when you treat them well…not just tips, but respect, real interaction, make an effort to say a few words in Spanish…it makes a difference when they truly want to make you have a great experience over “just doing their jobs”.

Viewing 0 reply threads
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
    Translate »