¡Bienvenidos! Forums Unofficial Palladium Main Forum Rain & flooding in Punta Cana – over

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Anne
      Keymaster

Posted by Punta Cana Mike:

I just drove from the airport to Uvero Alto. Rain has been very heavy at times and basically from Majestic north, flooding is occurring. Most of the fields around Macao are under water and some communities flooded out. It seems that the Uvero Alto resorts would be the worst from a flooding point of view….less so to resorts in Bavaro, Cabeza and Cap Cana.

I have cancelled the tour for today and it appears that many other companies have done the same.

PLease use caution today as water could be deeper than you think and obviously slippery.

This is the worst flooding I have seen at Macao-Uvero Alto in over 6 years. The region is very flat with little natural drainage, thus it does not take much for the water to back up!

Cheers

PuntaCanaMike

Anne
        Keymaster

PCM reports that airport has re-opened.

“Ok…just drove the loop so have an idea of conditions.

South region…(Cap Cana, Punta Cana, Cabeza del Toro)…rain, but not that heavy and little to no flooding.

Bavaro…(Barcelo to Occidental)…heavier rains and the roads are flooded….moreso due to bad design and they forgot to put dranage in! Slow going for all on the roads in Bavaro.

Friusa and north to Uvero Alto…heavy rains and fields are flooded. The main road is fine all the way. This is the area that has the most standing water.

Cheers

PCMike”

Anne
          Keymaster

sun is shining by Yndhira

Anne
            Keymaster

PCM reports:

“The sun is shining and a great day overall.

I just spent the morning driving to all key areas that would effect any tourist…and beyond. Aside from some remaining water on the roads in Cortecito-Las Corales in front of Now Larimar, Sunscape and Little Haiti, all roads are dry and perfect!

There was NO MAJOR FLOOD DAMAGE….inconveniences yesterday?? Yes.

I was on the beach at Macao….aside from some puddles which always seem to be there…all is fine. There are some restaurants that due to poor planning (building IN the mangrove swamp) are flooded…but that is supposed to be water anyways! LOL Bales is fine and open for business this morning.

I drove up to Uvero Alto and again…no issues. A bit of standing water in some fields, but some of what you would see is because of the new road construction blocking the natural drainage.

I went to the beach beside Breathless and indeed there was some beach erosion (ruts). Most was to the area directly in front of the main courtyard and once again, due to poor drainage planning more than anything. The loader was on the beach getting all in order and I imagine by now, he is done and the beach looks like it did last week!

So…for those concerned…not lasting damages. Some residual water hanging in very low lying areas.

To make a point as well. Although yesterday’s rain was VERY INTENSE at times, we have seen more accumulation in a 24 hour period. Becuase we have been so dry, the ground was able to absorb a good amount of the rain yesterday…with the exception of those few late morning-early afternoon hours when the intensity was like a snowstorm.

I know there will be a never ending continuation of questions and concerns, but hey….all is fine. Lets get back to countdowns and Bubba Mugs.

Cheers from here…

PuntaCanaMike”

Viewing 3 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
          Translate »