¡Bienvenidos! Forums Unofficial Palladium Main Forum What happened to my favorite resort?

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      jacek
      Participant

In 2008 we went first time to Riviera Maya and fell in love with All Inclusive vacations.
        We were in GS, Dreams, Barceló and finally Grand Palladium.
        All were very good but Palladium was the best for our family. We were there in 2013 with our oldest daughter family, last years with the family of our mid daughter and this year we took with us our youngest. 2013 and 2014 vacations were very good and this year we expected the same.
        In mid-November we expected (low season) not to many people at the resort. Surprise, surprise,
        resort was full. There were fewer Canadians, no Russians and many Mexicans.
        We like Mexican families much more than other groups. But this time there were not families – it was a weddings crowd. GP become a wedding factory: several weddings every day.
        It affected resort and the quality of our vacations.

Beach:
        At 11AM we could not find chairs on the beach. Therefore every day I was running to pick up towels and reserve chairs. It was quite stressful. In the past we did not experience it.
        Beach was not cleaned frequently with the exception of the wedding court that was raked every day.

Noise:
        Weddings parties were every night. Music was so loud that our building (56) was shaking up to midnight. We were in the better shape than guests in cabanas who were affected the most.

Buffet:

Every day some part of buffet was reserved for wedding groups : 10, 20 or more tables together.
        We were feeling like second class guests.
        Buffet changed also. In the past GP buffet was classy: nice decorations, curved fruits, every day different ethnic food (Mexican, Italian, French etc). We have dozens of photos of the buffet that we were showing to our friends.
        This year we were shocked. Practically no decorations. Forget curved fruits. Every day the same menu emphasizing the fast food style. Looks like new manager had an internship in Pizza Hut, Kentucky Fried Chicken or McDonald.
        We could not believe that buffet may go so low.
        The only service that did not change is front office.
        Management: Beatriz and Pedro were trying their best to create a warm atmosphere.

We are so sad that our favorite resort got so bad.

Anne
        Keymaster

Welcome and thanks for sharing Jacek. Sorry you were disappointed. I’ll be there soon and will report back.It could be it was just a fluky week or not. I’ve been going for many years and though the resort has undergone change I have felt that most of the changes were for the better.Will be reporting here and maybe UP FB.

Anne
          Keymaster

I am here now. Resort is nearly 100% full as it is Christmas.

While November is usually quiet it seems that you hit a busy wedding week. I have not seen one wedding this week but have experienced large family groups here for Christmas. They have not interfered with our stay in the least.

My daughter and I got a late start today and went down to the beach at 11. Absolutely no problem finding loungers in sun or shade. Pools were busy then.

Regarding the buffets I did notice the El Gran Azul above the main pool feels much more casual and guests there seemed to gravitate more towards hamburgers, pizza, etc. Today I went to La Hacienda, interior AC restaurant for lunch and it was as I remember and in fact better as it was beautifully decorated, had a vast variety including 3 different paellas, large selection of fresh food for grilling and fresh linens, decorations etc.

The buffet last night for Christmas Eve was out of this world and nothing was spared. There was one large family group but they were tucked away and did not bother us.

Overall I think you just hit it on a busy wedding week. Christmas is the busiest time of the year and we have no complaints. Some changes but still someting for everyone IMHO.

jacek
            Participant

Anne,
              We were there two weeks and both weeks were the same.
              Buffet at the main pool did not change. Food for lunch is ok there but service is very bad.
              We do not go to the sit down restaurants so I can’t compare decorations last year vs today.
              But; did you find decorations in main buffet the same as last year?

Anne
              Keymaster

It’s hard to compare decorations as we are here at Christmas when they go all out. I did notice that they did some elaborate decorations with fruit & vegetables in Kabah buffet today. Selection was excellent; two grilling stations with fish, steaks,chicken, pork (6 items to choose from) 3 types of paella, large pans of shrimp & mussels, delicious roast chicken and the usual offerings of hot dogs, hamburgers, turkey burgers and things for the kids like pizza, pasta, french fries.Kabah is the main buffet on the WS side and is huge and not at all busy at lunch time.It is similar to La Hacienda on Colonial except larger. The only dinner I ate in the buffet was on Christmas Eve so can’t comment on that but I know they still offer the grilling selection of 6 items to choose from.. Haven’t seen any weddings.

Anne
                Keymaster

I know you’re not keen on going back but if you are a 4 time returnee you get three a la carte reservtions.

Viewing 5 reply threads
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
              Translate »