¡Bienvenidos! Forums Trip Reports Wonderful Mexico by Sasha

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • Author
      Anne
      Keymaster

Marvellous Mexico
        NEW
        Returned from the GP Colonial within the last week, following a two week stay. Travelled with husband and two teens, 14 & 16. Before going we emailed the hotel and asked to be in the Colonial section, I asked for 2 rooms together and not to be on the ground floor. Checked in and this is what we got!

We did pay extra for a private transfer from the airport and this IMO is worth every penny, nobody else checking in with us and only took about 1 hour in the private mini bus with a/c.

We received a welcome drink on arrival, a nice touch. Room was lovely, very clean, well stocked mini bar and nice products in the bathroom, shower gel, shampoo, conditioner, body lotion and soap. A good hairdryer, iron, ironing board, coffee machine with filter coffee/tea etc. also in the room. A/C worked fine and ceiling fan great for night, if you do not want the A/C running all night.

We found that the Colonial was the busiest of the 4 lobbies, day and night but we spent time in all of them for a change of scene, when we wanted it. We liked the choice of the resort, if you want a more peaceful day or evening you can find it, if you like dancing and more people around then this can also be found. This is the same for the pool scene, so many pools to try, we moved about, we often went to the Salt Water pool or beach in the morning, had lunch somewhere and tried a different pool in the afternoon. We liked the White Sands Pool in the afternoon but also enjoyed Paella Party and Foam Party at the Colonial on those days.

Found some great places to snorkel on the beach and also good snorkeling in the Salt Water Pool, if not so confident.

We tried all the buffets, a huge choice of food, far too much to list, loved the freshly cooked omelettes for breakfast. I have a very picky eater and he found something every meal time to eat. Tried all the a la carte restaurants apart from Mediterranean, just ran out of days. Liked them all, most fun in the Mexican, great waiting staff. The grounds of the hotels are beautiful and the staff work really hard to keep looking so good.

I also want to mention the seawood problem, this is all over the coast line at the moment and is just nature. Out of 14 days we only had it really bad for 2 and efforts by the staff to remove it are amazing.

Do not miss the White Party and beach BBQ, we did but we did manage to check them out for next time and they looked great fun.

We went swimming with turtles via the boat at the hotel, also did the Segway tour on arrival, would recommend both. We also went to Chichen Itza via Thompson, full day trip but not to be missed IMO. Loved the animals at the resort and really hope these stay for our next visit.

My only negatives are not against the hotel but other peoples behaviour. People without children complaining about being splashed in the main pools, when they have 3 adult only pools to choose from. Also witnessed people reserving chairs in the evening shows, not necessary and not cool. Thompson also need to address problems with online check in, we could not book for 4 days only to be told plane was full and we did not have a single seat together. I then had to pay a further £160 for 4 seats close to each other, still not side by side. Liked the Dreamliner but not the seat configuration. All about money making, great for couples but not families, no 4 seats together. We also missed our welcome meeting due to having a trip all ready booked, my husband asked if we could attend next one but Thompson Rep said it was not needed and just pop and see me with questions. Do not be fobbed off, as you will miss things due to the amount of things going on.

We loved Mexico and the people, we will without doubt return to the GP with more family members next time. Just on a final point, I would like to see help yourself Cava on ice in the lobbies, I know it’s available at the bar but would be a nice touch for future improvement.

Room Tip: Colonial block 1 for young or elderly as very close to main reception.

Viewing 0 reply threads
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
    Translate »