¡Bienvenidos! Forums Unofficial Palladium Main Forum Kantenah Family Select trip report(s)

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Anne
      Keymaster

Printed with permission from Nancy King

“After reading reviews for the past month, worried that our vacation was not going to be what I hoped for, I feel the need to write a review as I am currently here. I will update it after we leave but currently I am so thrilled we booked this resort.

We arrived Thursday, airport was a crap show and took 1.5hrs to get our bags. Not the resorts fault, however if you can handle just bringing carry on you will have a better time, lol.
        We booked a private transfer because I didn’t want to risk having a bunch of stops. We used VIP riveria maya and they were great.

Check in was a little frustrating. We got there at 2pm and were told our room would be ready at 3, got our bracelets and went to have lunch, came back at 3 and was told a couple more minutes, the person we were dealing with left and another concierge came in. 45 min later I went to the desk, he told me my room was ready awhile ago but he didn’t realize that was me Then he talked on the phone for 15 minutes just to tell me the mini bar wasn’t stocked but I could go to the room anyway. This happened to another family at the same time as well while we were sitting there. So yes, a little frustrating, but if that’s the worst I have to deal with them I don’t really care! lol. The reality is these people are checking in and out so many people everyday there are going to be some delays, it is what it is.

We got a swim out room in building 51 which is closest to the beach, it’s absolutely beautiful. Construction going on right next door but the sound is minimal. The swim out pool is bath tub warm so not sure what people were saying about it being cold. Our room has two double beds and a pull out coach. The pull out is probably equivalent to a single bed. We are a family of 4, two teens 12 and 14 and we all fit just fine.We didn’t meet our butler when we first arrived, but I went to the main FS desk and they gave me their what’s App number and were super quick to respond to my messages, they even booked us in for a la cartes for the rest of the week.

The food… I am going to put on about 50lbs here. It is absolutely amazing and all we have had is buffets so far. The selection is huge, the food is delicious and everything that was supposed to be warm was. No it wasn’t burning hot but no buffet keeps its food like that or it would keep cooking! The food was just as warm as any buffet I have been to in Canada, and everything was well stocked. I could honestly eat here everyday and I’m positive I wouldn’t get tired of it.
        We ate at the nest for breakfast and it was wonderful. We had buffet and ordered food off the menu, it arrived very quickly. I loved how quiet the nest was, we walked by the colonial buffet and it was packed.

The beach is gorgeous. I went down late morning and tons of loungers available, many with shade, quick bar service as it wasn’t busy. I read that the beach is rocky so brought water shoes but it’s really not bad, one little spot when you walk in and then soft sand, I have not worn mine yet.

The resort is absolutely breathtaking, so clean and really gives you the jungle feel. It’s huge but really doesn’t take long to go from Kantenah to colonial area (maybe 3-4 minutes), white sands is a much bigger hike from Kantenah but we probably won’t even go there much.
        I absolutely think the extra money for FS was worth it. Even just for having a butler to text for requests, the swim out room and having the nest to use for breakfast.

Hopefully the rest of the week continues to be this amazing”

• This topic was modified 3 months ago by Anne.
        Anne
        Keymaster

Trip report from Sonja Bosler printed with permission

“We just returned from a one week vacation in a (Kantenah)family selection swim up suite and it was truly an amazing experience. We swam in our swim up pool every day while one of us showered, or sometimes while my husband napped, or even late at night the first evening when we were too tired to do much else after dinner. Basically we got a ton of use out of it, which I was worried when booking we wouldn’t use it much at all. My daughter is almost 14 just for reference. The water was extremely warm in the swim up pool and very nice, and we even had a monkey on our balcony-apparently he comes most afternoons!
          As for the food, it was excellent I thought but I’m not really picky. My daughter is and she loved most of it except Poseidon, although she liked my seafood rice that I ordered there. She didn’t like the octopus that she ordered. The ambience was amazing though because it was right on the ocean.
          Our favorite restaurant was The Nest because my daughter loved their crepes so much, but all the buffets were good. I mostly ate the freshly cooked food at each buffet so I can’t comment on how warm everything else is but my husband seemed to like it all. Sumptuori was definitely the best a la carte, and Helios was the only TRS restaurant we tried and it was great. Drinks were pretty good too but a little bit sweet after a while. Definitely recommend asking for better quality alcohol if you’re family selection or TRS because they’ll give it to you but only if you request it.
          The resort was beautiful and well kept, and our room was brand new. Housekeeping was very attentive to our needs and changed our bedding when I got hot wing sauce on our sheets, brought new towels as needed, etc. Our butlers Erick and Eduardo were always just a text message away if we needed something from them, which was extremely helpful for calling us golf carts as I have difficulty walking around and it’s a very large resort. They also made us all of our restaurant reservations and changes them as needed, and helped us with anything else we needed during our vacation.

Anne
          Keymaster

Updated  report by Nancy King. Posted with permission.

Sitting in the lobby getting ready to leave after 9 wonderful days I figured I would write a review.
            I’m not sure how anyone can complain about this place! It went well beyond my expectations.
            Airport was a bit of a crap show getting bags, took 1.5 hours but apparently Air Transat is on some kind of rotating strike? So perhaps that’s why.

We took a private transfer so can’t really comment on the Air Transat one. We used VIP and they were great!

Check in was okay, the concierge switched over to another staff member while we were waiting for our room and did not communicate that so we ended up sitting and waiting for an extra hour, not a huge deal but a little irritating after a long day of travel. Besides that I really have nothing to complain about.

Our butlers were super quick to respond to any questions or requests which made things like getting extra blankets, pillows, etc much easier. I could see why people might complain about that, I requested 3 things the first night, extra towels, linens for the pull out coach and a hair dryer. I texted those to the butler who then contacted housekeeping, the housekeeper brought the towels but nothing else, so I texted again, then they brought the bedsheets but no comforter, etc. so I can see how frustrating it would be to not have a butler to sort that out for you. They booked all the restaurants right away so we were able to eat in every one before we left with the exception of Poseidon which was closed. My favourites were El Dorado and Sumptori.
            The resort is HUGE but so easy to get around through all the short cuts and they are all shaded which makes for a nice walk.

The sports centre was awesome.

We prefer a more quiet atmosphere so liked the FS beach, always loungers available, not crowded and a lovely breeze all the time. The beach had a few spots that were a little rocky but nothing we can’t avoid or just wear water shoes and walk right through.
            I did wander over to the colonial pool once but couldn’t find a lounger anywhere, people get up early and reserve spots. I loved that it wasn’t an issue in the FS area.
            Went to the FS pool once, it was nice with lots of beds, not very busy, but because the resort has so many trees, they blocked the breeze. I found everywhere except the beach to be so hot so I pretty much lived there.

Buffets were excellent with a huge selection. I definitely gained a few pounds this week The food was always warm and restocked quickly.I loved the nest for breakfast. There was always live music but it was much less busy than the other buffets.

Drinks were good. I’m not a big drinker but I enjoyed being able to order the higher end liquor. But you have to ask for it, otherwise they just use whatever the cheap stuff is.
            We had a swim out room in building 51, super close to the beach which I personally loved, it was right beside the construction but honestly the noise was so minimal. And on the beach the waves drowned even that out. The water was soooo warm in our swim out as well. We had 2 double beds and a single pull out. My 12 year old son fit just fine on the pull out, my husband slept in a double and my 15 year old daughter and I shared a double. We never felt crowded at all. Only complaint about the room was the AC does not go lower than 20 degrees. Which felt fine during the day when you are coming in from the heat but at night it was a little on the warm side. My husband did not enjoy that part but he likes to sleep in the cold.

Wi-fi was pretty good. Didn’t work on the FS beach unless you were up by the bar but most other places seemed to have a decent connection. Bring your pool floaties and sunscreen with you if you can as the gift shop is very overpriced.

One thing I discovered the second last day that I wish I knew sooner was to get your picture taken when the photographer staff are walking around. There is no pressure on the spot, they just take your pictures and then you can log into the app later or walk up to the shop beside the gift shop and look at them all from your entire stay. We got some taken after dinner the second last night there but when I went up to look at them I saw all kinds of ones they had on display of other families and couples and they were GORGEOUS! The photographers are really talented. Yes the photos are a bit expensive $20 per picture, but they are just as good as many pros back home and I’ve paid a lot more money than that for pictures from them.

No late check out, you give up your room at 12, but you can keep your bracelets and stay on the resort and use everything until 6. There are also showers in the lobby to use.

I think I covered most everything. I do highly recommend FS as I’m not sure my stay would not have been quite as nice without a butler, also I LOVED the FS beach and the nest for breakfast.

Anne
            Keymaster

Here are some recent Google reviews

KFS reviews on Google

Anne
              Keymaster

Thank you Michelle Owens

Here is a LONG but hopefully helpful review of our stay. First of all we are SO glad we chose Family Select. There are so many additional amenities that made our stay easier. We had unlimited towels, your own beach area, and access to the TRS side as adults. We did feel like there was a service difference when we were at white sands/colonial vs TRS/FS.

Overall we had an amazing trip
                We loved –
                Adults only restaurant La Boheme – the fondue, Brie appetizer, onion soup, and steak were incredible.
                Adults only Helios – coconut shrimp and filet were delicious. Also loved the Surprise sphere for dessert.
                TRS bar – we often went to see Julio at the TRS beach bar. We found drinks to be better at the TRS beach bar than family selection bar.
                Family Select bar -Had ice cream
                Pool – huge ducks to play with, fun activities, and so much more intimate than the other pools. My kids didn’t like the colonial pool at all (couple kids pushing others off the floats and being pretty mean) but LOVED the FS pool.

Nest and Niu – service was top notch and food was amazing. When we had our adults only meal, our boys (who are a little older) went to the Nest by themselves and had a great time. They had mini lobster, shrimp, and octopus on the Nest buffet. Crepes in morning were amazing!
                Other notes – we stopped for sunscreen on the way. It was about $5 each. Much cheaper than the $40 sunscreen at resort. Bring water shoes. Niu’s kitchen closes at 3:45 even though it’s listed as 4.

Viewing 4 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
            Translate »