Frequently Asked Questions
These were written and updated by Anne & Brenda
Where is the resort located?
About 55 minutes south of Cancun, 20 minutes south of PDC. Refer to the Map.
What is included with my “All Inclusive” vacation ?
Breakfast and lunch in buffet style. Dinner in the buffet or in one of our A la Carte restaurants (unlimited dinners, based on the availability), Snacks 24 hours in the Bar Punta Emilia (Grand Palladium White Sand) and Beach Bar (Grand Palladium Colonial), local and international drinks with or without alcohol (also included in the discotheque), house wine in all of our restaurants and bars, cocktails and selection of international drinks of “Premium” quality in the Bars Hemmingway and Churchill. Sports and animation included, according to the activity, gym according to service desired, towels, turbines and umbrellas for beach and the swimming pools, miniclub, Black & White Junior Club, minibar in all rooms (restocked daily). Free room service (Grand Palladium from 11 am to 11 pm, Royal Suite 24 hours) SERVICE OF ALCOHOLIC DRINKS PROHIBITED FOR MINORS LESS THAN 18 YEARS OF AGE.
What kinds of rooms are available?
Kantenah & Colonial
Standard (one king bed or two doubles), Jr. Suite (same as standard with pullout couch in sitting area), Presidential Suites, Mayan suites/Cabanas (see below).
White Sand & Riviera
Jr. suites & suites. Limited number of family suites. (Connecting suite & Jr. suite). In the White Sand & there are also some Cabanas.
See the map. Blue = Colonial, Orange =Kantenah, Avacado =White Sand, Brown = Riviera
Can a room accommodate five people?
Yes in some Jr. suites or a suite and a connecting Jr. suite (White Sand & Riviera).
Some companies will allocate a certain amount of these rooms for families and the rest just for two people but the rooms are exactly the same. Not all tour operators will work in the same way as this is their own criteria.
Is smoking permitted in the rooms ?
No, here is the PHG policy. “We would like to remind you that, according to national tobacco laws, smoking is not allowed in hotel rooms and in the lobby. If caught smoking, you will be charged $250 USD for room cleaning and preparation.”
What amenities do the rooms contain?
Self-programmable safe, hair-dryer, mini-fridge with water, soda & beer-(Stocked daily), satellite TV, Iron, ironing board, tubs, shower, A/C with card access, iPod dock.
- Self programmable 7.75″ x 15.75″ x 15.75
Does the resort offer accessible rooms ?
Yes, The Palladium hotel group strives to offer a luxury vacation for all.[envira-gallery slug=”handicapped-accessible-rooms-and-ramp”]
Smoking in rooms
- “We would like to remind you that, according to national tobacco laws, smoking is not allowed in the rooms. If caught smoking, you will be charged $250 USD for cleaning and reconditioning of the room.”
Does the resort offer beach towels?
Yes, each guest will be given a towel card.
- Towel exchange locations are located at Colonial, White Sands Pool, La Jarra Kantenah beach bar and La Rocas salt water pool, El Rinconcito Pool, the Adult pool in White Sand, and the Royal Yucatan Suites Pool. The towel huts are open from 8am to 8pm in the summer and 8am t0 6pm in the winter months.
- Royal Yucatan Suites, VIP and some Travel Club guests will not need a towel card.
Air conditioning setting FYI: Depending on what temp you want suggest as an example: set to enfriamiento and auto and 22c = 74F (use up and down arrows) and hit set.
- Enfriamiento = cooling
- ventilacion = just fan
- apagado = off
- alta = high
- media = medium
- Baja = low
Check In & Check Out
- Check in is at 3pm and check out is at noon. Late check out can be arranged through the desk based on availability ($10 per hr.).
- 4pm check out $40
- 6pm check out $60
- Later than 6pm is rack rate
There are courtesy rooms available for showering and changing for no additional charge.
What is the electrical voltage?
Same as USA & Canada. 110-120
Image of the power receptacle.
The AC and electricity in the room is activated through the use of a room card key. In order to conserve energy, the electricity goes off when you remove your room key and leave the premises. The AC also goes off if you open your slider door.
Doug UK suggests: A useful tip for European travellers. The sockets in the rooms also support 2 round pin plugs but NOT UK plugs. Infact the clock radio in the room has a 2 pin round plug.
Here is a handy chart showing each outlet from different countries. Thank you Juan J Mullin.
An adapter some travel with. (image below) It has been reported that the UK round pin will not fit in the the receptacles at the Riviera Maya Complex other than the one in the bathroom.
*Bring a power strip with extra outlets*
Can I take a taxi from the resort ?
Yes, here are the rates from the resort to various places in the Riviera Maya.
What are the laundry services?
The hotel provides next day laundry/pressing/dry cleaning services. However, this is charged per item per service, i.e. washing one cost, pressing another. It is advisable to pack accordingly or to use the Laundromat in Akumal.
There is a phone connection fee of $5 for ALL calls from your room (including 800 #s). It is advisable to buy a phone card in the lobby for use with the phones there, buy a Ladatel phone card in town or use your cell. Some cells do work in the area including Verizon and AT&T but you must have it activated at home before you leave.
Are there English television channels ?
Yes, there is a good variety of channels.
The free WiFi speed will be .5Mbps 512 kbps in the rooms, lobbies, bars etc. for basic emails, Skype.
- Prices for Premium WiFi – 1 Mbps(1024kbps)
- 1 day – 14.99 USD
- 2 days – 24.99 USD
- 3 days – 29.99 USD
- 4 days – 59.99 USD
Royal Yucatan guests receive free premium WiFi
Is there a photographer on-site?
Yes. You can email them or visit them at Kantenah lobby. On-site photographer
You may change your currency for pesos at the front desk 24 hour per day. You will get a better rate at one of the two ATMs. To change currency or larger bills at the front desk you’ll need your passport. Sometimes the bellboys or bartenders can make change.Note: All services at the hotel require payment in pesos.
There are two ATMs, one is located in the Kantenah lobby and dispenses Pesos, the other is located in the Colonial lobby and dispenses USD.
What is the weather ?
Is there a departure tax payable when travelling to Mexico ?
Most of the time this airport tax is included in the price of your ticket. Please check with your airline or check your airline ticket to make sure the tax is included. Depending on the exchange the tax is around $48.00 USD per person.
Thomson passengers pay it for each ticket holder. Departure tax of approx. 900 Mexican Pesos – approx. £45, $65 or €48 – payable locally in cash only. Scottish and Irish pounds, travellers’ cheques, credit and debit cards are not accepted. This is controlled locally, and may be changed without notice.
What does the resort do in case of severe weather such as a hurricane ?
In case of an alarm, the resort has shelters available. Executive personnel and hotel management will inform guests of the measures and procedures established. Detailed information will be provided through channel 2 on your TV.
For more information click here >Grand Palladium Hurricane Policy
What if a power failure occurs ?
In case of emergency, the resort has its own back-up power generators.
For more information click here >Hurricane Preparedness
There is a doctor on site 24 hours per day. There is a flat fee for a doctor visit and additional fee if other services/prescriptions are needed. The hotel is part of an organization called HOSPITEN which is affiliated with a state of the art hospital in PDC and Cancun.
Does the resort have a defibrillator onsite ?
Yes, there is 1 located at the Colonial and 1 at the Riviera.
What are the differences between the resorts?
Some room difference. . Guests can use amenities for all resorts except the Royal Suites Yucatan which is for those guests only. The buffets are the same and amenities are equi-distance. The new sides have bridges not found on the C/K side.
Types of Rooms
- Colonial & Kantenah standard rooms: All of them with two double beds or a king size bed. C 1-7, K 41-47
- Colonial has 8 rooms equipped for wheelchairs
- Jr. Suites: All of them with two double beds or a king size bed and a sofa bed. C 8,9,20, 21, K 48-51
- Presidential Suites: For TC Guests.
- Mayan Suites: All of them have a king size bed. Outdoor shower. C 30-32, K 33-36 , WS 55, Royal Yucatan 72
- Colonial/Kantenah Jr. Suites, Suites & Mayan suites have a hydro-massage tub or a shower/tub combo.
- Riviera and White Sand have real jacuzzi and not hydro massage.
- The types of rooms at the Riviera are exactly the same as in the White Sand.
- Villas/Jr. Suites (White Sand): 52, 53, 54,56,57,58, 59. Riviera: 60- 68.
- Mayan Suites/Cabanas (White Sand): 5501-2, 5503-4, 5505-6, 5507-8, 5509-10, 5511-12. Royal Yucatan: 7201-2, 7203-4, 7205-6, 7207-8, 7209-10, 7211-12, 7213-14, 7215- 16, 7217-18, 7219-20, 7321-22
There are two types of bathrooms in these Jr. suite rooms; separate, enclosed and an open” concept with a Jacuzzi in the room. The Jr. suites in White Sand buildings 52-54 have the open concept, cabanas in 55 have separate bath with outdoor shower. 56 – 59 have separate enclosed bathrooms. The Jr. suites in Riviera 66 – 68 have the open concept, all other in 60-65 have a separate enclosed bathroom.
There is an adult only exclusive area at “The Royal Yucatan”. 69, 70, 71, 72. The Royal Yucatan consists of three buildings of Jr. Suites and Suites, exactly the same as the other buildings, and with a double jacuzzi by the terrace. The Jr. suites have the “open” bathroom concept. The Mayan Suites are located in the Royal Suites Section 72. The Royal Yucatan section is only for adults. (18+) Only guests staying there or select VIPs are allowed to use the facilities there.
The Mayan suites (cabanas) in White Sand & Royal have kayaks included.
Can I make a room request before I leave?
Yes, make your requests here.
Upgrades are available based on occupancy and availability as follows:
GP Colonial & Kantenah
- From Std to Junior suite
- From Junior Suite to Mayan Suite
- From Mayan Suite to Presidential Suite
GP White Sand & Riviera
- From Junior Suite to Suite
- From Suite To Mayan Suite
Note: Suites between the resorts are different. The suite’s at the Col/Kan are larger. Size is like two Junior Suites in size.
Can I upgrade my room at check in ?
All upgrades are subject to availability at time of check in.
- Standard to Jr. Suite cost $50 USD per room per night for Colonial, Kantenah.
- Standard to Mayan Suite cost $ 125 USD per room per night for Colonial, Kantenah, White Sand
- Jr Suite to Mayan Suite cost $ $75 USD per room per night for Colonial, Kantenah, White Sand
- Standard (C,K) to Suite in White Sand or Riviera cost $110 USD per room per night.
- Jr. Suite to Suite in White Sand or Riviera cost $60 USD per room per night.
- Standard (C,K) to Mayan Suite in White Sand cost $200 USD per room per night.
- Jr. Suite to Mayan Suite in White Sand cost $150 USD per room per night.
- Upgrade to Royal Suites service cost $ 150 per room per night depending on which category you have originally reserved. Prices will vary.
- All prices are subject to change.
We suggest booking your preferred choice of room at time of booking whenever possible.
Will repeat guests receive any special “benefits”?
We have tried to publicize everything that is “official” Repeat guest benefits are not”official”although there are some rough guidelines. Is this your 2nd trip or more?
A guest who has been there 2-3 times may get an upgrade if available, may get a fruit basket. There are no guarantees on an upgrade.
A guest who has been there 4+ times may get the above in addition to 3 a la carte reservations if they choose.
Guests who have been 8 or more times (RM), 10 or more times (PC) may get a gold bracelet which entitles them to unlimited a la carte reservations and access to El Jardin. They also have the spa fee waived. Gold bracelets are at managment’s discretion.
None of these are cast in stone and there may be additional amenities such as flowers, champagne,etc for an anniversary or other special occasion. We always suggest you book the room you want so there will be no disappointment. Guests may also order special amenities for a cost.
How does the Smile Services work ?
Here are some frequently asked questions and answers regarding Smile Services.
Can you tell me more about this new smile service please?
Is the new department that is responsible for making unexpected surprises to customers
Is there a cost ?
Who comes up with the idea or plan for the special arrangements ?
We will investigate if someone who is at home we can surprise
How far in advance does someone need to contact you?
One month before when you are at home and then when you are here in the hotel contact me again
Which resorts are offering this service ?
Now only Riviera Maya, Dominican Republic And Vallarta
Contact (s) ?
A big thank you goes out to Guillermo Orlando Maldonado Duarte ( Memo) for providing these answers.
Where are the Guest Services desks located ?
There are 2 Guest Services desks located in the Colonial and the Riviera lobbies.
What ala Cartes are available?
All guests have access to unlimited ala cartes at nine restaurants in the RM. The Royal & VIP guests may reserve ahead of time through Guest Services if they choose. All other guests may just arrive at the a la carte of choice except at the two listed below.If there is a wait you will be given a beeper. Any party of eleven or more must select a fixed menu for their group 24 hours in advance. in one of these restaurants:
- “It is necessary for group reservations for more than 10 people, i.e., 11 and up, to ask for a table to the a la carte restaurants. If the group is 11 or more people and they want to eat all together at the same table they need to reserve at the guest service desk with a SET MENU, which means you have to choose the same menu for everybody (same entry, main course and dessert). Only these restaurants accept groups: La Adelita – Mexican, Thai, Portofino – Italian, Opavao – Brazilian, La Lola – Spanish and Ribs & More – BBQ & Grill. For groups children and adults are considered the same for us.”
For Punta Emilia, Sumptuori show table & BBQ – book the day before with guest services.
As schedule changes based on resort occupancy; ask when you check in, check bulletin boards or stop by Guest Services for scheduled days. Guests can make the reservations from one day before until the same day before 1:30PM.
What are the dress codes ?
Do Men need to wear long pants to ala cartes ?
No, Men now enjoy a relaxed dress code in Riviera Maya, Puerto Vallarta and Punta Cana.
What non-motorized water sports are available?
Kayaks, hobie cats, sunfish, scuba lessons in pool, snorkeling equipment, padle boats and boards
What is the on-site dive shop? Is it a separate company? What does it offer?
Aqua Excursions, yes separate company from Palladium. Scuba diving, deep sea fishing, snorkel tours, motorized water sports all for an additional fee. http://aquaexcursions.com.mx
This beach wheel chair is available from the dive center located on the Colonial beach. There is no charge, you must present ID and your room key to sign it out. It is for use only at the beach. Special thanks to Paula for this information.
What other non-water sports are available?
Land and water aerobics, pool and beach volleyball, table tennis, dancing lessons, darts, archery, riflery, min-golf, tennis (6 courts), badminton, Spanish lessons. The new multi-purpose sports court offers volleyball, football, basketball, soccer pitch with artificial grass and a mini soccer pitch with artificial grass.
Is there a fitness center & Spa?
Large Gym with two different areas: one offering a variety of weight lifting machines and the other for aerobics. Lockers and dressing rooms offered. Sauna, Jacuzzi, Steam Bath.
The exquisite marble spa is huge and is probably one of the most spectacular spas in Mexico. There is a $10 per day fee except for Royal guests or those paying for services.The spa features winding pools, whirlpools, 17 indoor massage cabins, outdoor massage cabins (great for midnight massages), Spa treatments available for an additional charge at Zentropia Spa. Different cosmetic treatments and massages, Hairdresser, Eco Meditation, Temascal ‘Mayan Sauna,’ Foot bath, Cold bath and Balinese Bath.
Is there a kids club? Ages?
Yes, enclosed Club near the pool and main beach. Kids 1¬12 are welcome from 9am – 11 pm daily. There is a new kids water park near the kids club for ages 4-16. There is also a shallow kiddy pool. Kids eco-tours of the resort are included. Evening programs begin in the Theater for kids at 8 pm. Wednesday morning Breakfast with Raggs is not to be missed. Must be booked.
There is a Black and White Junior Club for teens located at the old Spa site in Kantenah with age appropriate activites and a Wed. night dinner.
Is there an age limit for archery & rifle shooting
Yes. Lolo says, ” The age for rifle shooting and archery is 12 with Mum or Dad. After 19 they can do it alone. Greetings. Lolo”
Is there babysitting available
” The baby sitting service that we have at the resort, has to be requested one day in advance, and has a cost of 15 usd for per child per hour.
Please contact our Guest Relations staff upon arrival to get more details about it.”
What is there to do if we have a rainy day ?
The resort offers many fun activities in the event of a rainy day. See schedule here > Rainy Day Schedule
Is there a sport’s bar?
Yes, the sports bar is off the Colonial lobby and shows major sports events. It also serves food in the evening. The Sports Bar is currently opened 24 hours per day and will be while the Colonial Beach Bar is under renovation (til December ’16
Is the water safe to drink?
Yes. The water is purified several times via an osmosis purification system and is safe. Bottled water is provided in the mini-fridges.
Does the resort offer a Catholic Mass?
Yes, located next to the Colonial lobby in the church, La Iglesia De Nuestra Senora De Las Nieves on Saturday and Sunday at 5 pm
Does the Resort Provide Day passes?
Day Pass: (Feb 2016)
- 9am thru 6 pm $80 US
- Children 3 – 17 yrs: 50% off
- 6pm to 2 am $90 US
- Children 3 – 17 yrs: 50% off
You do not need to pre-book, upon arrival ask at front desk.
What is there for kids to do ?
The Palladium Hotel Group has implemented a wonderful family program. There is something for children of all ages to do, please refer to our Palladium Kids Page for more details.
What is Imperial Club ?
Imperial Club is a offered exclusively to those who book an Imperial Club room with Transat Holidays. Here is a list of some of the included perks that come with this.
- Premium brand drinks; Separate check in at club desk; Distinct identification bracelet; Welcome gift and letter; Fruit basket upon arrival; Concierge service; Private cocktail party. Please refer to Transats website for a full list and any changes that may occur.
- Official language is Spanish.
- You must have a current passport to enter Mexico.
- Minors travelling alone need authorisation from parents or guardians and signed by a notary.
- Countries that do not require a visa to enter Mexico are:
Andorra, Argentina, Australia, Austria, Belgium, Canada, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, Hungary, Ireland, Iceland, Israel, Italy, Japan, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Monaco, the Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Poland, Portugal, San Marino, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, South Korea, Spain, Sweden. Switzerland, United Kingdom, Uruguay, USA, Venezuela.The remaining countries require a visa, which can be obtained from the Mexican embassy in those countries.
- The official currency is the Mexican peso, although US dollars are accepted in most of the country.
- Hospitals are private; therefore, it is recommended to take out travel insurance.
- According to the Ministry of Health in Mexico and all other countries, no specific vaccinations are required to enter the country. The tropical climate means that there are a great many insects, so it is recommended to take insect repellent and be vaccinated against hepatitis A and B.Precautions must be taken with drinking water and bottled mineral water is recommended.
If you have any questions please feel free to ask on our forum